Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Wedge Pillows Post Reply Post New Topic
CliveB
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote CliveB Replybullet Topic: Wedge Pillows
    Posted: 28†Nov†2019 at 12:12pm
As anyone on the forum any advice to give on the use of wedge pillows. My GP has recommended that I use one. I have searched the internet and the choice is humungous. Would therefore appreciate any personal comments/recommendations/criticisms.
IP IP Logged
truthfreesall
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote truthfreesall Replybullet Posted: 29†Nov†2019 at 4:05am
Hi! welcome to the forum. I'm sorry about your diagnosis first and foremost. I use a wedged pillow in addition to inclining the head of my bed. The pillow I use is the Therapedic 7" wedge pillow. Honestly, in my opinion if you're going to invest in a wedge pillow spend the extra cash and get a good one. The one I have is about 3 months old and is already worn down meaning the foam that it's made out of is really soft and doesn't have the same support as it did when it was new. They have memory gel pillows that are expensive but you save in the long run that you won't have to keep reinvesting to get new pillows.

What I recommend is getting a bed with an adjustable base where you can incline the head. If this isn't in your budget stack books under the foot of the head of your bed to incline it about 7-10 inches.

The incline helps keep you from refluxing at night with the help of gravity. Additionally, a study was done where they found that sleeping on your left side reduced night reflux significantly due to your body preventing you from refluxing by helping your LES and keeping your stomach in a low position below your esophagus.

Edited by truthfreesall - 29†Nov†2019 at 4:12am
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 29†Nov†2019 at 9:09am
Hi Clive,

It may be easier and cheaper to raise the head of the bed by using blocks. I have a couple of bed risers lifting the head end by 7 inches but bricks or old books may be used.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 29†Nov†2019 at 9:16am
OPA (Oesophageal Patients Association) has teamed up with Puttnams to offer bed wedge at reduced rate.

Visit this page on their site.

The standard retail price is £59.66, you only pay £31.50 - saving over 48%.

Putnams also offer free delivery or you can pay a little extra for next day delivery.

To take advantage of this offer
1. Please call or email the OPA first and we will give you a Discount Code. Call us on 0121 704 9860 or email enquiries@opa.org.uk.

2. With the Discount Code, call Putnams on 01752 345 678, email info@putnams.co.uk or visit https://www.putnams.co.uk/collections/bed-wedge-pillows/products/bed-wedge

Please Note:

On the website you will be able to enter the Discount Code on the Check Out page.
If you phone or email Putnams with your order there will be a small delivery charge. To get free delivery use the Putnams website to order.
IP IP Logged
CliveB
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote CliveB Replybullet Posted: 29†Nov†2019 at 5:01pm
Hi Chris, tried to email the opa website to get the discount code but the site is unobtainable.
IP IP Logged
CliveB
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote CliveB Replybullet Posted: 29†Nov†2019 at 5:03pm
Thanks Chris, I have tried to raise the bed but due to it being a split base divan each time it tries to break it's back.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 29†Nov†2019 at 5:10pm
OPA were having problems with their site yesterday. Guess they're trying to sort it out.
You could try phoning their helpline number 0121 704 9860 - not sure of their "office" hours.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version