Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: low acid but Barrett's Post Reply Post New Topic
MarieDay
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote MarieDay Replybullet Topic: low acid but Barrett's
    Posted: 12†Apr†2019 at 8:53pm
(Question for Chrisrob at the end of post) I was diagnosed with Barrett's in October. Taking a ppi I was still getting the only symptoms I ever had...the feeling of reflux in the back of my throat and pressure at my solar plexus. As a result, my doctor had me get a pH impedance test, twice. The first time the machine stopped recording. The second time, the test showed I hardly had any reflux, yet had acid hanging out in my esophagus 42% of the time. The doctor didn't believe these results made any sense. As a result, he had me do a 96 hour BRAVO test.

He had me go off the ppis for four days before the procedure. Then 2 days into the test, he wanted me to go back on the ppi for 2 days of the test. The results came back that I only had acid in my esophagus (pH at 4 or below) 1.2% of the time with the ppi, and on the ppi only .5% of the time. So apparently I have low acid but nonetheless got Barrett's.

He is taking me off the Prilosec and putting me on ranitidine, feeling that given that I don't appear to have much acid ranitidine was the safer drug choice. I told him that I had heard of a study (on this site) that ppis make you 70% less likely to progress to esophageal cancer, and he asked to see that study. So Chrisrob, could you post a link in the reply. Also, if you have any thoughts about my situation, I would love to hear them. Thanks.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 13†Apr†2019 at 11:20am
Hi Marie,

Your situation is certainly unusual. The fact you have Barrett's means you must have refluxed acid previously. Reflux is due to a malfunctioning lower oesophageal sphincter most frequently caused by a hiatus hernia (see
"Put Simply" in the Down With Acid encyclopaedia).
Could it be you no longer reflux because your hiatus hernia has resolved itself? A hiatus hernia is when part of the stomach has pushed up into the chest through the hiatus hole in the diaphragm. Could it be your stomach has slid back down again? This can happen. Losing weight may mean the upward pressure has been reduced. Another suggestion is breathing exercises used by singers can tighten the diaphragmatic muscle. Have you taken up singing?

Regarding PPIs role in the possible reduction in risk of progression to cancer, this page from the latest revision of the Down With Acid book, links a number of studies.
I think this is the particular study you were interested in, that states in the results section: "On meta-analysis, PPI use was associated with a 71% reduction in risk of OAC and/or BO-HGD in patients with BO."
IP IP Logged
MarieDay
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote MarieDay Replybullet Posted: 13†Apr†2019 at 6:17pm
What an interesting post. Thank you. I still have the hernia, and I have not taken up singing. However, this past year has been very stressful, and I have lost 30 pounds. I was never overweight, and now I'm underweight. I was trying to regain the weight, but now I'm thinking I shouldn't (or not before I start singing lessons). Thank you also for the link.
IP IP Logged
mommyto2
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mommyto2 Replybullet Posted: 16†Apr†2019 at 9:43pm
Hi MarieDay Iím just wonering if you have ever been pregnant, that is the only time I have knowingly refluxed in the past.
IP IP Logged
MarieDay
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote MarieDay Replybullet Posted: 16†Apr†2019 at 11:47pm
Yes, I have two children. But the reflux really started happening about a year and a half ago.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version