Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus  
Message Icon Topic: Complications 18 months after fundo Post Reply Post New Topic
njd2
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote njd2 Replybullet Topic: Complications 18 months after fundo
    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 4:46pm
Hi all,

I have (had!) a hiatus hernia and barrets.

18 months ago (aged 28) I had a fundoplication.

Thankfully the surgery was a success and i have not had to take any reflux medication since the surgery (beforehand i was on seriously high amounts of anti reflux meds)

Recently (the last couple of months) I have had pain / discomfort in the middle of my chest, which I am almost certain is related to my fundoplication.

I have still not got reflux (or i haven't really felt any. certainly i have not needed anti reflux meds).

It comes and goes during the day but it is getting worse and it is making it hard for me to function.

Has anybody ever had this? any suggestions as to what could be causing this?

Being 100% honest, I have put on weight since the surgery so I wonder if that is putting pressure on the surgery site?

Thanks
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 10:12am
Hi,

Not able to diagnose what your problem may be. Have you seen the doctor?

A few months after my first fundoplication 11 years ago, I had tremendous abdominal pain in the night and thought it was from my wrap. I had to get an ambulance. They discovered it was cholecystitis (inflamed gall bladder) which I had removed (described here).

Gall problems are not uncommon for those of us who have acid reflux problems.
I'm not saying that's what you have but just one possibility?
IP IP Logged
njd2
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote njd2 Replybullet Posted: 05 May 2019 at 11:42pm
hi chris,

unfortunately it looks like my fears have come true...

my reflux although completely at bay is back bigtime. I'm now back on high dose PPI's and a bottle of gaviscon advance per day. 18 months of complete normal life and no medication (post my fundo) and now back to square one. Totally devastating, particularly as i'm only 30 and have 3 young children.

I am going back to see the surgeon and will be having an endo to confirm that the fundo has become loose and i imagine i'll be having another fundo in due course.

the surgery is still partly in tact as i'm still having the slightly weird burps, but my reflux is as bad now as it was pre surgery.

Any advice on a 'second time fundo'? Am i likely to have go through all of the PH tests etc again?

Totally devastated
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version