Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :General
Message Icon Topic: ANother New Diagnosis Post Reply Post New Topic
Chris B
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Chris B Replybullet Topic: ANother New Diagnosis
    Posted: 26†Mar†2019 at 3:42pm
Hello, I have just been diagnosed with Barrett's (C2M2). Having read the excellent Down with Acid book I think I have probably had the silent reflex for a number of years (dry eyes, unexplained coughs that lasted over a year etc). At the moment I also have Globus type symptoms, together with hoarseness, loss of voice and I seem to belch (air only I believe) whenever I have eaten/drunk any fluid. This has persisted for 3 months. I have been prescribed 80 mg per day of Omeprazole which seems to have made little difference. I have always been fit, I am not overweight, do not smoke and have cut out all alcohol. My consultant has just retired so I have not yet had chance to discuss any of these symptoms as he simply did an endoscopy without a biopsy. I am waiting to be reassigned to a new consultant and just wondered whether I should be trying to get a manometry test to see if/when I am refluxing (belching and/or at night) and to see strength of LES. Any help advice would be appreciated.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 01†Apr†2019 at 10:09am
This sounds similar to the situation I found myself in 12 years ago.

80mg omeprazole was doing nothing to stop all those similar symptoms of reflux. I tried all the lifestyle modifications without success and eventually decided I had to go for the surgery I had delayed previously as I'd been too scared. Best thing I ever did.

If your consultant agrees you could be a good candidate for surgery, the surgeon will want to carry out 24hr pH manometry as on of the preparatory tests.

Acid suppressants reduce acid not reflux.
IP IP Logged
kevinjp61
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote kevinjp61 Replybullet Posted: 19†May†2019 at 1:12pm
I was on 20mg omeprazole, when I first went to UCHL they increased it to 40mg and also added ranatadine which I take with my night time omeprazole. I havenít had an acid incident since, well to be fair I canít remember the last one.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version