Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Non uniform pit pattern Post Reply Post New Topic
James5159
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote James5159 Replybullet Topic: Non uniform pit pattern
    Posted: 24áMará2019 at 9:56am
Hi everyone I had a small cancer removed from my oesophagus by emr in february last year.some eight months later I started to have halo ultra treatment.to date I have now had two halo treatments.I had a pre halo endoscopy two days ago on friday 22 March.I recieved my endoscopy report as I was leaving the recovery room and I haven't a clue what it means as I wasn't able to speak to the doctor.it says segment of Barretts as described area of increased uptake of acetic acid and non uniform pit pattern at goj so biopsies taken ? Dysplasia.for halo 90 on 19 april dependent on biopsy results.has anybody an idea what this report means

Best wishes james

Edited by James5159 - 24áMará2019 at 9:58am
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 25áMará2019 at 9:30am
Hi James and welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear of previous diagnosis but happy it was found in time to eradicate. Most frequently used path for ablation is via EMR to remove the lumps and bumps and follow up RFA ("halo") to ensure complete eradication of intestinal metaplasia.

Your pre-halo endoscopy attempted to assess the remaining area of Barrett's cells. Your endoscopist used the acetic acid technique to help identify the suspect area. Acetic acid is sprayed into the oesophagus where it provides a visual contrast with the other cells.
Pits in the mucosa are like holes lined with cells that produce mucous and, in the stomach, acid from the parietal cells that become proton pumps.
This image is of a pit in the mucosa of the stomach:

A non-uniform pattern at the GOJ (Gastro-Oesophageal Junction - where the oesophagus and stomach meet) may signify some displacement of surface cells due to the replacement of, or addition to, the normal flat squamous cell lining by columnar Barrett's cells.
But that diagnosis of the area is just a visual guide used to determine the most appropriate areas to biopsy. The histology report on the biopsies taken will probably confirm the visual diagnosis. Any residual Barrett's cells will then be removed using the smaller Halo 90 ablation head as described here.

All the best for 19 April. Hopefully everything will be fine.
IP IP Logged
James5159
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote James5159 Replybullet Posted: 25áMará2019 at 7:57pm
Thank you so much for you're quick reply.i have been wondering if this non uniform pit pattern is something to be concerned about.this same report also states that i also have 2 barretts islands c0m1.I have previously had another 2 high grade dysplasia islands ablate with rfa.hopefull y these others wont have any dysplasia.thank you again
Best wishes james
IP IP Logged
James5159
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote James5159 Replybullet Posted: 27áAprá2019 at 6:59pm
Hi ive just had my had my third halo barrx rfa treatment.my report says that my next treatment will be argon plasma coagulation,does anyone have any experience of this treatment.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version