Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Eye pain, left shoulder blade pain Post Reply Post New Topic
solidusben
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote solidusben Replybullet Topic: Eye pain, left shoulder blade pain
    Posted: 19áMará2019 at 3:57am
Hello, I'm a new member and got diagnosed with barrets intestinal metaplasia 2 months ago. I have been dealing with eye irritation and upper left back/shoulder blade pain for 6 months straight.

Has any member here experienced said symptoms? I'm worried and have anxiety in regards to this. Thank you.

Edited by solidusben - 19áMará2019 at 3:58am
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 19áMará2019 at 9:58am
Hi and welcome to the forum.

It is a possibility your symptoms may be attributable to reflux.

Eyes may be affected by Extra-Oesophageal Reflux. Refluxate travelling from the stomach up the oesophagus may breach the upper sphincter and aspirate into the respiratory system. Thence it may travel to the nose and via the tear ducts to the eyes.
In a survey carried out 2 years ago, 40% of refluxers reported "gritty eye" symptoms.
I get that, too.

Back/shoulder pains are also reported by some refluxers and could be attributable to the vagus nerve which runs against the oesophagus as it passes through the hiatus hole in the diaphragm. Any spasming of the oesophagus can impinge on this major nerve transmitting pain signals that can appear to originate anywhere in the thorax.

However, I am not a doctor and obviously do not have access to your medical records so if these conditions are causing you concern, you may need to discuss with your doctor as they could be from some other cause.
IP IP Logged
solidusben
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote solidusben Replybullet Posted: 19áMará2019 at 11:05am
Thanks Chris.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version