Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :General
Message Icon Topic: another newbie Post Reply Post New Topic
windymiller
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote windymiller Replybullet Topic: another newbie
    Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 3:56pm
hiy all, just diagnosd a few weeks back after several years of indegestion, im 51 yrs old male and a hiatus hernia also diagnosed, i did know what barretts was but was quite surprised by the staff at the hospital (dont get me wrong they were all incredibly nice) the barretts diagnosis was so matter of fact almost "oh barretts again" nothing to worry about they said just keep taking your current ppi's its c10m11 (does that mean very long?) and i havent got my biopsy result back yet nor have i had a meeting with my doctor to discuss, strange thing is last couple of years ive seemingly suffered much less with indigestion but have had an issue with a low tickle and briging food back up, one can read quite scary statistics if one looks long enough but i have been warmed by the helpful advice ive read thus far on this forum so a big thank you to posters and admin alike.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 10:28pm
Hi Windy and welcome to the forum.

Barrett's is actually far more common than people realise. Mayo clinic in US suggests 1 in 20 of the population have it - though few know, or have even heard of it.

c10m11 is a very large area. 10 cm length of circumferential collar with maximum length of any tongue about 11 cm. Though, until the biopsy results come back, it cannot be definitively diagnosed as Barrett's.

Barrett's cells are like armour plating to the lower oesophags produced to protect against acid erosion. They are also less sensitive than the squamous cells they replace so it's quite common for heartburn symptoms to subside with the development of the Barrett's cells.

Management is to take PPI medication (eg omeprazole) daily and to have regular surveillance scopes every couple of years to check there has been no mutation (ie dysplasia) towards cancer; if so, it can be ablated to prevent that occurrence.

A tickle in the throat is a common symptom of extra-oesophageal reflux as is regurgitation.
PPIs reduce acid but don't reduce reflux. You may need to manage that with lifestyle modification.

Edited by chrisrob - 15 Feb 2019 at 10:28pm
IP IP Logged
windymiller
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote windymiller Replybullet Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 7:58am
thing is now im on omeprazole (30mg) and as a rule dont have signs of indegestion / heartburn etc does that mean no acid is irritating the damaged area ?? or because its now armour plated i wouldnt feel damge being done anyway ??
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 8:45am
A combination of your PPI and Barrett's cells is protecting you. Your Barrett's is very unlikely to change.
IP IP Logged
windymiller
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote windymiller Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 6:22pm
so my doctor has confirmed that it is barretts c10m11 with no dysplasia, but advice was keep taking the ppi's and next endoscomy will be in two years, my gp hadnt heard of the asprin trial, is there a timescale when the results will be written up and maybe implimented ??? stupidly i watched a you tube clip on lifetime chance of it changing to cancer, i thought it was 0.5% (or is that yearly?) the clip said 5 to 10% Confused

Edited by windymiller - 24 Feb 2019 at 7:35pm
IP IP Logged
MarieDay
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote MarieDay Replybullet Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 11:24am
I met with one of the authors of the aspirin study. He said supplementing with aspirin at this point was premature. He couldn't even tell me a dosage. He believes more info will be coming soon, but this one study was preliminary.
IP IP Logged
windymiller
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote windymiller Replybullet Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 12:03pm
thanks marie, all these studies seem too take soooooo long Disapprove 
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version