Message Icon Topic: surveillance Post Reply Post New Topic
pylorius
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote pylorius Replybullet Topic: surveillance
    Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 1:00pm
Hi everyone

I have just read the latest Barretts Newsletter and on page 2 there is a comment about regular surveillance. It made me wonder about regular surveillance and what do people do. I receive my ongoing long term prescription for Omeprazole but not a consultation with my GP. Do you receive a 'regular surveillance' as a matter of course or do you book an appointment with your GP to discuss your Barretts and if so how often?
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 4:01pm
Hi,

The latest newsletter will be generally available from the newsletter page of the Barrett's UK website tomorrow.

Surveillance intervals are always of concern to many patients. Whereas it is acknowledged we scope too much, since the vast majority of scopes show no changes and it is costly both in money terms and staff and facilities, patients like the reassurance afforded.

This chart shows the decision tree pertaining to surveillance for non-dysplastic Barrett's:

The recommendations, though should be flexible enough so consultants can make adjustments including other criteria such as the patient's body mass, anxiety levels, familial history, etc.

The hospital or clinic should have you booked on their system for your next scope and you should normally hear directly from them. If you know approximately when your next scope is due and don't hear, you can phone up the endoscopy secretary to ask.

Feedback following a scope varies form centre to centre. Some will call the patient back for a clinic session a few weeks after the scope (allowing enough time for biopsy results to have been received), some will send a letter to the GP who should discuss it with the patient, some send a letter to the patient (copied to the GP) with results and a phone number or email address for any concerns or questions. If you have heard nothing after 6 weeks of the date of your scope, you can call the endoscopy department and ask if they can send you a copy of the pathology report.
If you just receive a report that's difficult to understand because of the jargon used, let us at Barrett's Wessex know and we may be able to interpret it for you.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 4:04pm
A clearer copy of the image above may be seen by clicking on this link.
IP IP Logged
pylorius
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote pylorius Replybullet Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 11:22am
Thanks Chris that makes it clear.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version