Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: exercise Post Reply Post New Topic
Davlin
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Davlin Replybullet Topic: exercise
    Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 2:06pm
Hi can anyone help me with this one.I have recently started doing both pilates and a short low impact workout to try to aid in weight loss.I am now getting what feels like anxiety discomfort and palpitations in my chest the next day after the workout. I am being very careful about what I eat so does anyone know if this will be caused by the exercise and would it be harmful to just ignore it and continue? it is very low impact and only 30 mins long. Thanks in advance for your advice
IP IP Logged
pylorius
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote pylorius Replybullet Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 2:41pm
Hi Davlin

I have Barratts and HH and carry out vigorous exercise several times a week without any side effects. It is more likely that your palpitations and discomfort are as a result of the exercise. If you have just started exercising it is very likely that your body needs time to adjust to the exercise regime so perhaps ease off a little bit. Does the discomfort occur after the Pilates and/or the 30 minutes low impact exercise? If it is just one then you know you need to cut back on that exercise before you can gradually build it up as your body gets more and more used to the regime. If you are really worried about it then consult your GP for their advice as they will know your medical history.

All the best in you fitness regime.
IP IP Logged
Davlin
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Davlin Replybullet Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 2:54pm
Hi Pylorius
thank you for the prompt reply. The pain I am getting is similar to the one I have if I am having a flare up of reflux or if I have perhaps eaten the wrong things - I don't think its related to my heart as such - more a vagus nerve thing I believe when it flares up. I just was not sure if the exercise could cause the same irritation. I have had no discomfort or pain at the time - only the next day. Perhaps I have had overnight reflux without realising it? I wouldn't like to think I would be unable to do the exercise so will take it slowly and see how it goes. Thanks for your help
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version