Support Forum
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Support Forum
Message Icon Topic: Newly Diagnosed - Young Age, Scared Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
KEA827
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote KEA827 Replybullet Posted: 10†Feb†2019 at 1:18pm
I started feeling a bit better about the diagnosis and happened to find some information about how bad PPIís are for you long term and the laundry list of things they bring about. So now Iím scared all over again, if I happen to beat the esophageal cancer risk, I feel like thereís now 5 more things that could kill me - like kidney disease or heart failure or a risk of stomach cancer - from the PPIís. My outlook looks so completely grim right now. I feel like I have to come to terms with something killing me young.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 10†Feb†2019 at 1:41pm
Don't be afraid of those who try to sensationalise stories concerning possible correlation between PPIs and health concerns.

PPIs are really very safe drugs. They have been in use for 30 years by millions worldwide and probably saved millions of lives.

I have looked carefully at all the research. This link will take you to the revised pages for the next edition of Down With Acid coming out soon, explaining the truth about these sensationalist stories.

You can also see the research links here.

Basically, if a paper finds some patients with condition x are taking PPIs, there is no causal link. However, sensationalist journalists may jump to incorrect conclusions that PPIs must have caused condition x !

I particularly like this "research paper" that illustrates this: Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma when jumping from aircraft: randomized controlled trial that concluded: "Parachute use did not reduce death or major traumatic injury when jumping from aircraft in the first randomized evaluation of this intervention." But you'll need to look at the research to find out why - the picture at the bottom of that article's page will save a lot of reading.
IP IP Logged
KEA827
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote KEA827 Replybullet Posted: 11†Feb†2019 at 4:58pm
Hey Chris, I had an interesting email communication with my GI doctor's office. I had emailed them to ask the size of my segment, as I've noticed many mention this and I didn't see any of this in my report.

One of the nurses replied to my question and said "I believe it's only measured when it's positive for dysplasia or metaplasia."

That doesn't sound right, does it? I should have some recorded size, correct?
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 11†Feb†2019 at 5:07pm
If your Barrett's is a very small segment, they may not measure it.
Barrett's actually is called metaplasia: it means change of cell type.
Measurement is actually quite difficult. The endoscopist has to guess the extent of the lesion (before it has been officially identified by a histopathologist).
Measurements are made bu looking at markings on the outside of the endoscope tube where it passes through the mouthguard (at the incisors). The tube is usually marked only in 5cm intervals so the endoscopist has to make an estimation. The other factor is, the oesophagus is elastic whereas the scope is rigid and, gripping the sides of the oesophagus to some extend, can stretch it.
IP IP Logged
KEA827
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote KEA827 Replybullet Posted: 11†Feb†2019 at 5:52pm
Thanks for this feedback Chris. That's interesting. I did think it was strange she said that they only measure if it's dysplasia or metaplasia - since I too read that Barrett's is metaplasia. So in that sense, they should have measured. I wish there were some documentation of size for me. The doctor did mention it was very small, but how small do you think that could be? Under 2cm?
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version