Message Icon Topic: Worrying times 😢 Post Reply Post New Topic
Adam999
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Adam999 Replybullet Topic: Worrying times 😢
    Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 10:21am
Thanks for including me in the group.
I have been having pains for 3 years now, finally got diagnosed with Barrett’s oesophagus on my first endoscopy 2 weeks before Xmas. The original feedback I got from the doctor was that it was unusual and they were going to remove some more biopsies to help.

Fast forward to last week and I got a call from the consultant, they wanted to take more biopsies as the area was so inflamed however a day later she rang back again, this time though they wanted to add a CT scan for the full story. I have been for another endoscopy where they took another 21 biopsies as the area was very pink and also had the CT scan, I was due to go for the results today however they have asked for more time and put it back a week.

When I asked why over the phone they told me they had found worrying signs in the first biopsy, and wanted to get the full picture, they also wouldn’t tell me any results from the CT scan, I now fear for the worse.

How do people cope with the wait ?
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 5:41pm
Hi Adam and welcome to the forum.

It seems that previously you probably had a lot of oesophagitis which would have masked the area under investigation which is why they asked for rescoping and were able to take copious biopsies to analyse what was happening.

It's probably nothing to worry about. I guess they asked for CT scan as it may have looked as if there were signs of dysplasia, which the histology reports on the biopsies would confirm or deny.
This image shows what the endoscopist might see visually for the various possible conditions of your oesophagus.

If there are any signs of dysplasia, they'll discuss endoscopic eradication therapy with you - usually Endoscopic Mucosal Resection and/or Radio Frequency Ablation (sometimes called HALO).

The good news is they'll have seen if cancer had already developed or progressed. IF there are sigs of dysplasia (or even initial (T1) stage of cancer) it will have been found soon enough for successful treatment.

All the best,
Chris
IP IP Logged
Adam999
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Adam999 Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 8:33pm
Chris, many thanks for taking the time to reply. Your time to do this is very much appreciated.
IP IP Logged
Susan fisher
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Susan fisher Replybullet Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 8:48pm
I’m new and not sure how to post hope this works I’ve been on 80mg Omeprazole for 4 months I’ve got Barrett’s if I get heartburn I have tarry motions as my barratts bleeds has any one else had this
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version