Support Forum
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Support Forum
Message Icon Event: Medication Effectiveness - Event Date: 10 Jan 2019 Post Reply Post New Topic
andyrwhite
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote andyrwhite Replybullet Calendar Event: Medication Effectiveness
    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 3:34pm
Lanzaprozole and Omeprazole stopped working for me, so now on 20 mg twice daily Esomeprazole . Definite improvement but I am not symptom free ie mild nausea, salty taste in mouth on waking ( bile? ) and ocassional belching. Some of this I know may be due to what I eat or drink. I wonder if bile salts do just as much damage as stomach acid and if so do PPI's reduce the effect? My segment has increased from a mere 0.5 cm to 3 cm and my next endoscopy is due on 19/1. Apparently size of segment doesn't correlate to any increased risk. I am currently Non Dysplaysia.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 3:58pm
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum.

Acid reflux is a combination of acid and reflux. It's not so much you produce too much acid than the acid is not remaining where it's "safe" - ie the stomach that's protected to hold it.

PPIs (lansoprazole etc) were originally designed to reduce acid in the stomach to permit the healing of stomach ulcers. However, it was found they were immensely beneficial to anyone with acid reflux because they make what's refluxing less erosive. But PPIs do not stop the reflux iteslf. That has to be managed by lifestyle modification or surgery.

Because it's the only tool in a GP's armoury, if PPI's don't appear to be working, they'll change them to a different one, even though all PPIs are as effective as each other when taken in equivalent dose, and increase the dosage.

I personally was on 80mg omeprazole daily which was totally ineffective for my reflux, prior to my fundoplication.

The symptoms you describe do seem concommitant with reflux rather than acid so if you don't already:
  • eat small meals - little and often
  • leave at least 3 hours between last meal and going to bed
  • Do not do any exercise after food that involves tilting, squeezing or shaking the stomach until it has emptied a bit (about an hour or so)
  • avoid tight clothing
  • raise the head of the bed 8 inches / 10 cm on blocks

Bile is a bit like washing up liquid. By itself it won't damage your oesophagus but in combination with the acid can attempt to destroy the structure of the oesophagus.

You may find this free encyclopaedia helpful.
IP IP Logged
andyrwhite
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote andyrwhite Replybullet Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 4:28pm
Many Thanks Chris. Useful advice.
IP IP Logged
Merl@2018
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Merl@2018 Replybullet Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 7:34pm
Hi Andy, I read on ur prev msge re: salty taste in ur mouth after esomeprazole? I have had the salty,minty taste for 4 mos and have been om esomeprazole 20mg which GP increased to 40mg/day.However, with increased dose,the salty taste is still there everyday. Is it not a side effect of the esomeprazole?

IP IP Logged
andyrwhite
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote andyrwhite Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 10:07am
I have always thought it was bile salts but Chris will probably be able to tell us
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 5:36pm
Do remember, PPIs (eg esomeprazole) are good at reducing acid but the reflux continues. It can be anything from your stomach.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version