Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Copd Post Reply Post New Topic
Tcb63
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Tcb63 Replybullet Topic: Copd
    Posted: 09†Jan†2019 at 9:40pm
Today I was diagnosed with copd the thing is I donít smoke the doctor seems baffled as to why Iíve got it , could it be caused with acid reflux .
And would surgery stop it progressing further as Iím seeing surgeon in three weeks to discuss options if any .
IP IP Logged
nasdaq
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote nasdaq Replybullet Posted: 10†Jan†2019 at 9:12am
Can I ask you what leads to the diagnosis of copd? whats your symptoms? do you take medicines for your lungs? thx

Edited by nasdaq - 10†Jan†2019 at 9:12am
IP IP Logged
Tcb63
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Tcb63 Replybullet Posted: 10†Jan†2019 at 9:34am
No not yet on meds going to see doc Friday I was sent for X-rays last year due to chest pain it came back early signs of copd then Iíve started again with right side pain again so sent Monday for another X-ray this time itís back as copd but Iím a none smoker and they canít ubderstand why Iíve got it my only explanation could be reflux as Iíve got a HH as well as small segment Barrettís . Had no issues with lungs 15 months ago until HH
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 10†Jan†2019 at 10:26am
Reflux continuing full column may breach the upper oesophageal sphincter ("Extra-Oesophageal Reflux" also known as LPR) and aspirate into the respiratory system where it may cause lung damage.

Many with acid reflux are diagnosed symptomatically with asthma, COPD, or other lung problems. I was twice previously diagnosed with asthma and prescribed inhalers which were ineffective as the problem was actually the reflux. For me a Fundoplication was the answer.

This paper, Gastroesophageal reflux disease: from heartburn to Barrett esophagus, and beyond, published last September, acknowledges,
"While in the past the focus was mostly on the esophageal symptoms such as heartburn and regurgitation, today it is clear that GERD can cause extra-esophageal problems such as hoarseness, cough and chest pain."
and
"Patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) may present with a variety of symptoms, including heartburn, regurgitation, dysphagia, chronic cough, laryngitis, or even asthma."
advocating:
"A properly executed laparoscopic fundoplication controls esophageal and extra-esophageal symptoms and avoids life-long medical therapy."

Unfortunately too few doctors actually recognise the connection. They immediately think PPIs will solve all acid reflux problems when it's better to control the reflux. I believe my GP 30 years ago was one of the first to suggest a link when I told him my cough was worse when I had heartburn. He suggested that matter travelling up the oesophagus was then going down the trachea. (Quite revolutionary thinking at that time.)

Try all the suggested lifestyle modifications to see if it helps.
IP IP Logged
Tcb63
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Tcb63 Replybullet Posted: 10†Jan†2019 at 2:54pm
Thanks Chris
I do believe itís caused by reflux Iím hoping to get surgery but itís taking a while to sort out Iím back to see surgeon on the 28 th of this month will see what he has to say about these recent results regarding the copd . I do all the said things mentioned in the lifestyle modifications section but obviously it dosnt do me a 100% of good . I certainly donít want lung problems to add to the mix as Iíve got other medical problems too . Itís all very disheartening to be honest . But I always appreciate your feed back and knowledge.
IP IP Logged
nasdaq
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote nasdaq Replybullet Posted: 10†Jan†2019 at 9:04pm
What I know it is very hard to distinguish COPD from asthma.
Several tests have to be done.
My cough was very hard over 5 months - I went to gastro where my short barrett was diagnosed. I have no heartburn. He put me on 20mg PPI. My pulmonologist gave my sultanol and relvar for controlling the asthma.
During 3 month the cough went better but more problems with breathing in.
Also a lot of clearing my throat. I linked that with reflux. After consulting my pulmonologist i quit the asthma controller relvar. At the same time I started to read something about autophagy. I started in November with dinner canceling to support autophagy (14:10 or 16:8)

Now, after 2 months I experience nearly no coughing, no problems breathin in, no clearing my throat - my lung function is normal. Maybe you can give it a try with dinner canceling ...or intermittent fasting.
IP IP Logged
Tcb63
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Tcb63 Replybullet Posted: 10†Jan†2019 at 9:13pm
Iím not sure fasting would be a good idea for me personally as I have other health issues too but Iím glad youíre feeling better . Iíll see what my GP says in the morning .
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version