Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Support Forum
Message Icon Topic: Clopidogrel Post Reply Post New Topic
roganhen
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote roganhen Replybullet Topic: Clopidogrel
    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 12:09pm
I recently had some ocular migraine problems and just in case a TIA, (mini stroke), was indicated the doctor prescribed the blood thinner Clopidogrel. However I gave up due to stomach upsets including a vomiting attack. I am being encouraged to persevere with the drug but I have to take into account that I have reflux disease and Barrett's.
It seems to me that keeping oesophagitis at bay is not consistent with taking a drug that makes bleeding more likely. I am asking for an input from my gastro consultant but in the meantime would appreciate any information from fellow Barrett's sufferers who have taken aspirin or similar drugs.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 1:12pm
Hi,

It will be interesting to get your gastroenterologist consultant's view on this.

I know the FDA in America recommend the two drugs are not taken concomitantly but I have just searched PubMed for any recent research and come up with this paper: Evaluating the Effect of Six Proton Pump Inhibitors on the Antiplatelet Effects of Clopidogrel which concluded, "These data do not demonstrate a significant interaction between common individual PPIs and clopidogrel in healthy volunteers who respond to clopidogrel alone."
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 12:18pm
I passed your query on to one of our consultant gastroenterologist advisers. He was on holiday at the time, but back at work, has sent me this reply:
"There was some press about this 5 or so years ago based on lab studies but these are not translated into clinical practice. I therefore would have no concerns about PPIs reducing the effectiveness of clopidogrel."
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version