Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Moving from private screening to NHS Post Reply Post New Topic
Pilgrim_uk
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Pilgrim_uk Replybullet Topic: Moving from private screening to NHS
    Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 6:01pm
Hi

I recently have changed my job and now have to have follow up surveillance by the NHS after 10 years with Nuffield.
Everything seemed to be normal as it can be following the endoscopy with a follow up letter saying that nothing had changed, when just before the end of November I received a letter from my NHS consultant saying that using the Prague classification I am a C1M2. With in his words "many would describe this as an irregular squamo-columnar junction rather than Barretts oesophagus".
Followed by "it's likely you have a hiatus hernia" and no further routine reviews and Barretts surveillance procedures.
Whilst this is very good news for myself it also leaves me with questions as in do I or don't I have Barretts, what if.....I do but no surveillance how will I know.....10 years of being loaded on my life insurance for no reason....can I claim this back.

As I say almost a bitter sweet syndrome great news but plenty of questions any help appreciated

Edited by Pilgrim_uk - 25 Dec 2018 at 6:02pm
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Online Status: Offline
Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 9:47am
Hi and welcome.

Your Barrett's covers a very small area. C1M2 means the suspect area is a collar around the circumference of the base of the oesophagus 1cm high with a tongue or tongues reaching to a maximum of 2 cm.
As shown on this flow chart, ,
if your biopsies have shown the cells to be gastric rather than intestinal and less than 3 cm, "consider discharge" since the risk of progression is too small to consider. (Risks from scoping would actually be greater.)

It is very likely you have a hiatus hernia. Most of us do: it's what has reduced the efficacy of the lower oesophageal sphincter permitting reflux (as described here).

Your life insurance should have carried no loading due to a normal diagnosis of non dysplastic Barrett's since the risks of progression are not considered significant enough.

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version