Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Surgery/Symptoms Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 3
Alemap

Online Status: Offline
Quote Alemap Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2007 at 4:56pm
Hello Everyone
I have just undergone the Fundoplication operation and, though it is early days, all seems well.  I went into hospital on Thursday 17th May and came out on Sunday 20 May with it all done and dusted! 

I was extremely nervous but had no need to be.  There is no pain, only some slight discomfort around my abdomen where there are five little holes and a few staples.  The staples come out one week after the operation.  My diet needs to be soft for a few weeks and consists mainly of soup, soft potato, gravy, ice cream, youghurt, rice puddings etc.  Small amouts and often. 

I would recommend this to anyone who suffered the gross acid reflux that I have endured for 20 years or more.  I had my operation at the Royal Hallersham Hospital in Sheffield and I can't praise them enough.  They explained every detail to me and answered any questions thoroughly.  So far, so good.

Please let me know if you want to know more about the surgery from a patient's point of view.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2007 at 9:17pm
Hi Pamela,
I'm glad your operation has gone so well. Thanks for your account: it's given me fresh hope.

Eight years ago it was suggested I had the open Nissen Fundoplication and I was too much of a coward and, with my GP's help, managed the condition with medicines. But the laprascopic technique wasn't so widely available then!

I've got to wait a few more weeks to be told officially I have Barrett's. (I know because I wasn't properly sedated on the last scope and overheard everything.) I'm hoping they offer me the laprascopic fundoplication you had.

All the best and I hope you're as good as new soon.

Chris
IP IP Logged
Alemap

Quote Alemap Replybullet Posted: 15 Jun 2007 at 11:03am

Hello Fellow Sufferers!

Thanks for your good wishes for my speedy recovery. 

I added a post just a few days after my "Nissen Fundoplication" surgery and thought that anyone waiting to have, or wondering about, this surgery may appreciate an update about my experience.

I am now at the four weeks post operative stage and I am extremely pleased to report that all is well.  There is still some slight heartburn, which I shall discuss with the consultant when I go for my post op check, but it is nothing remotely like the pain I suffered prior to surgery.  Having suffered reflux for so many years, the feelings I had were "normal" for me but now I realise just how much discomfort I was in all the time!   I can't believe I put up with all that pain for so long.

I am still eating small amounts of food on a regular basis, but that is a small price to pay.

I think the best way to convince anyone who is nervous about the surgery is to say that the discomfort I felt before the operation was far worse than any surgical discomfort I felt.  There is some very slight tenderness of the abdomen after the operation but that has been a thousand times easier to stand that the constant reflux and heartburn that I was feeling before.

If you are offered this operation my advice would be to accept the offer and stop the suffering.  For anyone who hasn't had the offer of surgery made to them, then ask the question of your Doctor and see if you too can be helped by this procedure.

Let me know if you would like more information.  I shall be pleased to support anyone who contacts me.

Best wishes.  Pam
IP IP Logged
REFLUXER

Quote REFLUXER Replybullet Posted: 21 Aug 2007 at 7:18pm
Hi Halemap, Im so glad your surgery went well.
If you remember mine hasnt worked and I am about to go to the hospital on Friday 24th August for the last results of the Ph test. I had my operation last Nov and 9 months down the line nothing has changed. My depression is getting worse...One doc thought it had come undone, then an endoscopy supposedly showed that it hadnt, then another doctor thought half was undone, another barium swallow, supposedly showed that it was in place. Im at my wits end here, Ive just undergone a PH test, and I pray that when I go on Friday this shows them that the acid and relux and heartburn are still very much present.... If they tell me these tests were normal like the last two, then they might as well put me down because this misery I am living which they call life is not worth it to me. This last test might show that I have Bile reflux now, I should know Friday. But this is an added worry, because I havent heard of anyone on here having Bile reflux, as this comes from your Liver and should be present in the Duodenal.
GOD HELP ME.............I am in tears writing this...
IP IP Logged
REFLUXER

Quote REFLUXER Replybullet Posted: 21 Aug 2007 at 7:19pm

this is me.....A normal day for me.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 3
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version