Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Surgery/Symptoms Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
Alemap

Online Status: Offline
Quote Alemap Replybullet Topic: Surgery/Symptoms
    Posted: 23áDecá2006 at 1:38pm
Hello - Does anyone have experience of surgery for Barrett's symptoms?  I am due to see a consultant soon and wonder if anyone has any views.  I suffer with awful growling after eating and drinking (reflux) and a bloated feeling in the chest. 
IP IP Logged
Quill
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Quill Replybullet Posted: 02áJaná2007 at 10:29am
I am sorry that you have not received a reply to your original enquiry before now and can only blame myself for the lack of attention to this Forum bearing in mind the fact that it has only recently gone 'live' as well as the hectic Christmas period. My apologies.
I only found out that I had Barrett's after 'walking the boards' almost every night with indigestion whatever I ate and finally going to the Doctor who arranged for me to have an endoscopy which confirmed the position. I have been on 'pump prime inhibitors' since and largely trouble free. I hope you have your situation confirmed as soon as possible and appropriate treatment prescribed. I also hope that the information on this web site, including the 'lifestyle' issues are of help. Let us know how you get on.
Quill.
IP IP Logged
Romanticdancer

Quote Romanticdancer Replybullet Posted: 02áJaná2007 at 1:12pm
Hi

Have you been told you are having surgery before confirmation that you have Barretts?
Most people have any endoscopy to check if you have Barretts and at what stage it is and then you will tend to be prescibed "pump prime inhitors"[PPIs].If you have not had an "Endoscopy I will be happy to give my views on the subject.

IP IP Logged
Alemap

Quote Alemap Replybullet Posted: 07áJaná2007 at 5:42pm
Hello, thanks for response.  I have had many, many endoscopies over the years and have a confirmed diagnosis of Barrett's and haetus hernia.  I take the pump prime inhibitors.  My initial diagnosis was some 15 years ago so surgery has been on the cards of a while now.  I have seen the consultant and my fears have been allayed.  I am now on the waiting list but would like to hear from others who may have undergone surgery.
IP IP Logged
Quill
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Quill Replybullet Posted: 08áJaná2007 at 9:24am
I am pleased that you have clearly had a constructive session with your medical professionals and hope all goes well. I will see if I can locate someone who has had surgery and is willing to share their experience with you.
IP IP Logged
Alemap

Quote Alemap Replybullet Posted: 08áJaná2007 at 6:18pm
Thanks that's great.
IP IP Logged
Romanticdancer

Quote Romanticdancer Replybullet Posted: 10áJaná2007 at 11:33am
Hi
Have you considered becoming a Member of PROBE by pressing "Join PROBE" or you can "contact PROBE"  Most of the Members have Barretts and some have had operations and other procedures which maybe simular to yours. Best of luck.
IP IP Logged
alleggerita

Quote alleggerita Replybullet Posted: 13áJaná2007 at 5:38am
I had just like to know, if I had been having stomach acid reflux for 2 times but in a short span of time like about one and a half months, shall I just take the medicine the doctor gave me and let nature take its course or shall I do a scope instead? Thanks in advance to anyone who answers me. Smile
IP IP Logged
Quill
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Quill Replybullet Posted: 13áJaná2007 at 9:41am
Thanks for posting your question. You should appreciate that this is a forum generally frequented by 'patients'. It appears that your question should really be directed to your GP as he/she would be the best one to go through the pros and cons so far as your particular circumstances are concerned
IP IP Logged
REFLUXER

Quote REFLUXER Replybullet Posted: 07áFebá2007 at 5:49pm
Hi is it Anti reflux surgery you are waiting to have. If it is and you would like to know more please let me know. I recently underwent the op. in Nov.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version