Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus  
Message Icon Topic: visceral manipulation Post Reply Post New Topic
MarieDay
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote MarieDay Replybullet Topic: visceral manipulation
    Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 3:09pm
Hi. I wondered if anyone has tried this. My only risk factor for GERD or BE is a hiatal hernia. Someone recommended visceral manipulation to pull the stomach out of the esophagus. Has anyone had this done? Did it help? Thanks!
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 9:24am
Your hiatus hernia is the reason your lower oesophageal sphincter is not working properly, permitting reflux that was contributory to your developing Barrett's oesophagus,as described in Down With Acid here.

It is sometimes possible for a chiropractor to manipulate the stomach back down through the hiatus into the abdomen if the hernia's not too big, however, if it can slide that easily, it will easily reherniate. So it's only a temporary fix that will need to be redone again and the more frequently it is redone, the easier it will slide.

Another way to try this yourself without the cost of a chiropractor is to fill your stomach with a quantity of water to make it heavy and jump down heavily from a high step. Gravity can pull the stomach back.
IP IP Logged
MarieDay
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote MarieDay Replybullet Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 10:50am
Good to know. Last thing I want to do is make the hernia worse. I assume jumping with a full belly would carry the same risk as visceral manipulation by a chiropractor, i.e., making it more likely to slide? Thanks for your answer.
IP IP Logged
MarieDay
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote MarieDay Replybullet Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 10:36pm
Just saw a naturopath who wants to do visceral manipulation, but from what you've written, it sounds more bad than good. Or would you give it a try?
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 9:49am
On a personal level, I'd save my money but. of course, it's up to you. If she is able to reposition your stomach, be particularly careful with the lifestyle rules (particularly avoiding tight clothing, bending and exercise on a full stomach) afterwards to try and prevent it reherniating.
IP IP Logged
MarieDay
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote MarieDay Replybullet Posted: Today at 4:11am
Thanks. Saw my gastro doc today and asked him about it. He had never heard of it, but didn't think it could hurt. I have a fairly large hiatal hernia. I'd love to know if anyone on the forum has had it done.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version