Coletter
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Coletter Replybullet Topic: Silent reflux
    Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 9:07pm
Hello all

Advice please :)

I was diagnosed with Barrett’s last year, two months later I was told my diagnose was wrong. One year later...yesterday I was scoped again and Barrett’s was diagnosed again. Biopsies have gone off.

My issue is, the doctor said it would be silent reflux as I rarely get heartburn. If you do have heartburn is it possible to also suffer from the silent type to?

My biggest concern though is how do I know what irates it if it is silent ? I’m scared to eat or drink anything right now! Can anyone help me please? Also he mentioned a hiatus hernia, would I qualify/need the Nissan operation I’ve seen talked about? What can I do to help myself. I have a 5 and 7 year old so really need to be around for as long as I can :/
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 3:16pm
Hi,

"Silent Reflux" is a rather vague term. It was originally coined by Jamie Koufman in America for what she later named "Laryngo Pharyngeal Reflux (LPR) and who gives dubious advice about how to deal with it.

Reflux from the stomach into the oesophagus is due to a malfunctioning lower oesophageal sphincter. It can continue up th eoesophagus and breach the upper sphincter whence it may aspirate into the respiratory system.

Gastro oesophageal reflux carrying acid and bile that has refluxed into the stomach from the duodenum, it can cause damage to the oesophagus. The body's defence is to provide an armour coating, = Barrett's oesophagus.

About 40% of those refluxing acid don't experience typical heartburn pain for some reason. One theory is it has to do with the concentration of Oestrogen which would make sense as during pregnancy, reflux is common.

Food and drink do not cause acid reflux. how we eat is more important than what we eat in terms of acid reflux.
Barrett's I]does carry an increased risk of progression to oesophageal cancer but the risk is small. Those of us who have been diagnosed with it are the lucky ones; we will receive acid suppressant medication that probably reduces that small risk even more, and regular surveillance scopes every few years to ensure no pre-cancerous changes ("dysplasia") are seen whence it can be ablated to prevent cancer.

The free Down With Acid encyclopaedia will provide you with uch more information.

See particularly the Put Simply,
Food
Laryngo Pharyngeal Reflux
sections.
IP IP Logged
Coletter
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Coletter Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 7:34pm
Thank you Chris for your advise, this has really helped me. What do you think of having the hernia operated on?
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version