Message Icon Topic: Scary - the Age of a Barrett Post Reply Post New Topic
nasdaq
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote nasdaq Replybullet Topic: Scary - the Age of a Barrett
    Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 11:33am
Hello my friends - a new one

I´m also diagnosed with barrett since two months - I´m 41 years old - 178 and have about 71kg - like doing sports.

A really scary time for me at the moment!
As my cough went stronger beginning in 2018 I took one month pantoprazol 40mg and make an endoscopic check.

Final result: I´m suffering form a short barrett without dysplasia.
My esophagus was completely straight and in a very good condition - except the BO.
I have no problems with heartburn - my cough is not present - (actually i take 20mg Pantoprazol and also Relvar)

After talking to my doc he said we should do another check after 3 years - but if i want, also after one year.

What makes me very scary is that he said I will have this certainly for 20 years, after I have asked him how old is my barrett!
That mean I have this since at the age of 20.... :-(
And yes - in my early days i had problems with reflux only at night after eating late an drinking alcohol (parties, students life...).

I always read papers about the time and statistics when a barrett was diagnosed.
But how we can find how long we suffer from a barrett - this will change some things for me.

I try to calm down but I´m always think about my future... in theory -when I´m 80- i will have barrett for 60 years!
I think my risk must be extremely high to develop cancer because i have my barrett when I was 20.

Best Michael

ps sorry for my bad english ...
IP IP Logged
steveb8189

Quote steveb8189 Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 12:54pm
Hi Michael - Guten tag!

You will have no way of finding out how long you've had Barretts for. It does take some time to develop so you can probably add a couple of years to when your symptoms first started. Children as young as 10 have been found to develop Barrett's so you may well have had it for a long time.

My question is why does it matter? The risk is not cumulative so having Barrett's for longer does not mean you are more likely to develop cancer. In fact there are some papers that suggest the longer you have had it without getting cancer, the less likely it is to develop in the future.

As for the follow up scope, I would take their offer of another one in 12 months and then the guidelines are 3-5 years for short segment without dysplasia (in the UK)

Steve
IP IP Logged
nasdaq
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote nasdaq Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 1:21pm
Hi Steve,

thanks for answering me...

I always thought the risk is cumulative - and for that the overall age of a barrett will have a significant influence if cancer will occurs. By the way I read also that if you have barrett at age <30 the overall risk is higher than if you are diagnosed later.

THX Michael
IP IP Logged
steveb8189

Quote steveb8189 Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 4:06pm
The overall risk is higher as you will have it for longer. Someone who develops Barrett's at 20 is obviously more likely to go on to develop cancer than someone who gets Barretts at 80. Its like tossing a coin though, toss heads ten times in a row doesn't mean your more likely to get heads next time. You may have had Barrett's for 15 years but the stats show you're no more or less likely to develop cancer this year than someone who has only had it for the past 2 years.

Ultimately, eat well, take your pills, go for the scopes and consider yourself lucky that someone is keeping an eye on it so they can intervene if it starts to show signs of turning into cancer.
IP IP Logged
nasdaq
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote nasdaq Replybullet Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 11:34am
https://www.cghjournal.org/article/S1542-3565(18)30870-X/abstract

Edited by nasdaq - 01 Oct 2018 at 11:34am
IP IP Logged
steveb8189

Quote steveb8189 Replybullet Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 11:59am
I've read that one previously and it appears to be good news for people like us - so long as we make it through the next 10 years :)

My only hesitation is that many of the studies are influenced by the much higher than average risk of progressing within the first 12 months. This skews the data to make the risk appear less in the later years. Many studies have shown that, whilst the data shows this, it is not actually the case. It is just that people are misdiagnosed with Barrett's upon first endoscopy when they actually already have cancer. Thus, when they go for their second scope it shows us. This is the reason you are suggested to go for a follow up within 12 months but then surveillance may only be every 3-5 years.

Still, I'll take all the good news I can get so am happy to believe the findings in the paper your linked to. I'll download the full paper later and see if there are any other pieces of interest.

IP IP Logged
nasdaq
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote nasdaq Replybullet Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 1:13pm
Of course i will have the 2nd next year - but as I understand correctly most of the barretts are difficult to see clearly because of a totally corroded ösophagus. Therefor a PPI treatment will be essential to see barrett better after a year, or ?
As my doc said - i had a complete clear ösophagus. and my barrett is totally inconspicuous - and looks "good"

Edited by nasdaq - 01 Oct 2018 at 1:13pm
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version