General
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :General  
Message Icon Event: Just Diagnosed with Barretts - Event Date: 12†Aug†2018 Post Reply Post New Topic
miljake
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote miljake Replybullet Calendar Event: Just Diagnosed with Barretts
    Posted: 12†Aug†2018 at 12:22pm
Iím new here and very anxious about my recent diagnosis. Iím sorry this is long but I donít know how to relay my situation without writing the full story. Iím 72 years old, fit and eat well. Iím not overweight, never smoked in my life and have stayed relatively healthy.

Eight years ago, I was diagnosed with Gerd and was put on a PPI. I took it for a while but didnít like how it made me feel so I decided to self-treat myself with various natural remedies, off and on. Last month I went in to see my doctor because I wasnít feeling well; heartburn was terrible, etc. I had a scope and his initial viewing and diagnosis was mild esophagitis. A week later they called me back in to discuss the pathology report. The path report reads I have Barrett's with dysplasia (in the crypt). There isn't any grade to the dysplasia. He tells me itís not overly concerning to him. About 1/2 to 1 inch of my esophagus is affected. He wants me to take omeprazole (40mg) in the AM, forever. He had no response on anything alternative such as DGL, Aloe, Slippery Elm, etc. and told me to take antacids in between. He said he would see me in a year. I insisted he do another scope in three months, but he said ethically he shouldn't be giving me a scope this soon but because of my anxiety he would do one in six months. He saw how nervous I was and said that he sees at least 5-6 patients a month with this diagnosis. And I will probably die of something else - sure, with this omeprazole I probably will of a side effect!

I don't know what route to take; I'm now taking DGL and aloe, drinking alkaline water but I don't think it's helping much. My symptoms seem to subside after I take the omeprazole and I'm usually okay for a short time. Then the symptoms start again; the heaviness and burning, etc. By the time I go to bed, I'm miserable. I raised my bed (I have an adjustable bed) but it doesn't seem to be helping. I'm getting approximately 3-4 hours of sleep. I'm eating okay but not much and have lost a lot of weight because of this. My husband thinks the natural remedies may be interfering with the omeprazole and it may not be working to its full potential. Does that make any sense?

Please can anyone put this in perspective and help me. The dysplasia has me so scared. And I feel it's all my fault for not taking the Gerd diagnosis seriously. The doctor understands my anxiety but feels I'm blowing this out of proportion. Is there anyone out there in the same boat as I am. Can you offer any advice or alternative treatments and when I should take them? I really need some help. I understand from reading Dr. Google that dysplasia cannot be reversed and your chances of getting cancer because of dysplasia is 60 percent. I'm afraid I can develop cancer before I see him in six months.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version