Message Icon Topic: Barretts & vaping Post Reply Post New Topic
Choccy 76
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Choccy 76 Replybullet Topic: Barretts & vaping
    Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 11:24pm
Hi Chris

I just wondered what effect vaping had on barretts as I'm struggling to give up cigarettes? I've purchased an e-cig over the weekend & just wondered what your thoughts were & is there any research on this?

Thanks

Choccy 76
IP IP Logged
steveb8189

Quote steveb8189 Replybullet Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 4:54pm
Hi Choccy
Given the mixed research about vaping in general I imagine you will find nothing conclusive with regards to your Barretts. Have you tried patches to give up the smoking?
IP IP Logged
Choccy 76
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Choccy 76 Replybullet Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 8:41pm
Hi Steve

I've tried patches before may have to get some more as I don't want to make things worse. I'd heard that vaping was far less harmful though

Thanks

Choccy 76
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 2:05pm
Hi Choccy,

Sorry for delay.
The evidence of tobacco smoking on the development and progression of Barrett's is actually not that clear cut.

It is thought that the nicotine relaxes the muscles of the lower oesophageal sphincter - though, for those of us with reflux issues, the LOS is probably compromised anyway, usually by a hiatus hernia.

A 2014 study on The Influence of Life Style Factors on Barrett's Oesophagus actually concluded, "Long reflux time and family clustering of GOR seem to influence the development of Barrett's oesophagus. Smoking habits, alcohol consumption and BMI do not seem to have any impact on the development of Barrett's oesophagus."

Smoking is however, the main cause of the other oesophageal cancer, Squamous Cell Carcinoma.

Whether or not smoking is bad for Barrett's may be debatable but, of course, the best advice is not to smoke.

However, your question was about vaping.So far I can find no research regarding any association between vaping and reflux but, as Steve has suggested, there are conflicting views regarding e-cigarettes.
IP IP Logged
Choccy 76
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Choccy 76 Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 8:19pm
Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply, im going to try my best to stop at the end of this week!

Thanks
Choccy 76
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version