Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Reflux symptoms Post Reply Post New Topic
NickH
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote NickH Replybullet Topic: Reflux symptoms
    Posted: 04áJulá2018 at 8:57pm
I'm sure this has been discussed before but couldn't find a totally relevant post.

I've been having what I consider to be typical reflux symptoms for a few months now, constant clearing of throat, uncomfortable sensation at back of throat, sometimes feels like a slight burning and burping. My last routine endoscopy came back saying no changes (2-3cm BE, HH, IM noted)from previous time but I pushed for another as I was experiencing the reflux. the last procedure came back saying no BE and didn't mention HH but said there was oesophagitis. Following that went to see usual consultant to discuss results, he thought it was good news and said not to worry (his letter that later came to me said I had said I wasn't experiencing reflux symptons?) and that he would book another endoscopy in 4 years and said if no BE he'd discharge me.

wasn't satisfied with this as reflux was fairly constant now. saw a different consultant who was quite off hand reiterating the positive tone of the last endoscopy. she seemed to think my symptoms were not necessarily reflux.

I'm obviously not a trained consultant but feel like my symptoms are not being taken seriously and i'm being fobbed off. the last letter said my risk of progressing is very low which is reassuring but surely the symptoms i'm having can't just be ignored for 4 years? anyone else with similar experiences/symptoms out there?
IP IP Logged
steveb8189

Quote steveb8189 Replybullet Posted: 06áJulá2018 at 7:33pm
Hi Nick

Given your BE is a permanent change and can't go away I would suggest you still have the 2-3cm from before. The guidelines say that should be scoped every 3-5 years given your IM too. I would stick with that and go back to your GP in 3 years to get the ball rolling.

Whether or not your symptoms sound like reflux, you do have it, as it is required for you to develop Barretts. They are fairly typical symptoms but could also be caused by something like a post nasal drip. If you are concerned they are getting worse or if it is causing you issues you could try requesting for a 24hr pH monitor. This will give you a very clear view as to how much you are refluxing and can be the beginning of the process of getting the cause of the reflux treated - in your case I imagine it is the HH
IP IP Logged
NickH
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote NickH Replybullet Posted: 12áJulá2018 at 10:40am
Thanks for the feedback Steve.
I will see how the reflux goes and consider the pH monitoring as an option.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version