Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus  
Message Icon Topic: Sugar Post Reply Post New Topic
Tcb63
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Tcb63 Replybullet Topic: Sugar
    Posted: Today at 10:20am
Does sugar have an impact on Barrettís only had a biscuit yesterday and Iím refluxing today every time I try anything sugary this happens and it scares me wondering if itís making the BE worse .
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: Today at 10:51am
It is unlikely a single biscuit will cause any harm. However, sugar has been implicated in the promotion of cid reflux and the development of Barrett's.

Searching the Barrett's Wessex research archive found these papers from November and December 2017 with nothing significant prior to that.

Dietary sugar/starches intake and Barrettís esophagus: a pooled analysis "Limiting dietary intake of foods and beverages that are high in added sugar, especially refined table sugar, may reduce the risk of developing BE."

Dietary sugar and Barrettís esophagus
"Sugar intake positively associates with BE. A low carbohydrate diet should be recommended for persons with BE and GERD."

I don't think there's any evidence of making the Barrett's worse. The Barrett's has developed to protect against the acid reflux. Whether sugar is likely to aid dysplastic progression is not suggested.
IP IP Logged
Tcb63
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Tcb63 Replybullet Posted: Today at 11:28am
Thanks Chris
I guess Iíll be leaving sugar well alone from now on at least until I can have surgery ,fingers crossedIím hopping itís not to long await but the nhs arenít quick in doing it itís 3 months for referral then god only knows for the OP but everything comes to those that way t so to speak .
IP IP Logged
Tcb63
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Tcb63 Replybullet Posted: Today at 11:34am
By the way I forgot to ask I had a Berium swallow 2 weeks ago and it mentioned dismotility what does that meen as I havenít seen my gastro doc yet the surgeon mentioned something to do with reflux causing it dunt didnít elaborate .
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: Today at 12:11pm
It took ages for me to get my fundo. As I've indiacted before,it's not priority surgery.

The dysmotility problem could become an issue. It means that food is not progressing properly down the oesophagus to the stomach. A full Nissen wrap could further impede that so they may look at alternatives like a Toupet wrap but that would depend on the surgeon's assessment and expertise.
IP IP Logged
Tcb63
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Tcb63 Replybullet Posted: Today at 12:47pm
Iíve just looked at my GP write up about swallow test and it said normal I think the gastro Sent me to look into the probability of this but I will double check with his secrtery and Ask her to ask him about the results but thanks for the information .
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version