Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: So whatís happened to my hernia? Post Reply Post New Topic
mommyto2
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote mommyto2 Replybullet Topic: So whatís happened to my hernia?
    Posted: 14†Jun†2018 at 1:54pm
Hi there,

Ive just returned from my endoscopy today and I was told they couldnít see a hernia. My last 3 endoscopies reported a hernia, the first 2 measured 2cm and the 3rd was 3cm ( Iím aware that measurements canít be that accurate as the can slide up and down)

However todayís endoscopy showed no hernia. So I was just wondering whatís happened to it, or why she didnít see it.

My barretts is obviously still there, and they are sending off the biopsies. But any suggestions as to why she couldnít see the hernia would be welcomed as it seems a bit strange.

IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Online Status: Offline
Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 14†Jun†2018 at 2:15pm
The most common form of hiatus hernia is the sliding kind wherein portion of the stomach may herniate, or slide, into the chest through the hiatus hole in the diaphragm.

There are many reasons for a hiatus hernia forming in the first place. (It could possibly even be hereditary.) The most common causes of HH, however, are being overweight or pregnant.
Whatever the reason, at some stage some of your stomach had herniated. That cause may have reduced and the hiatus is loose enough to permit it to have slid back into place again.

This is good news. Your HH obstructs the operation of the Lower Oesophageal Sphincter facilitating reflux. If the HH has now resided, it could mean the LOS muscles may regain sufficient cohesion and strength to start working more effectively.

Your Barrett's, however, formed as a consequence of the frequent reflux of acid. It is permanent.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version