Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Event: New diagnosis? - Event Date: 03†Jun†2018 Post Reply Post New Topic
Julia 70
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Julia 70 Replybullet Calendar Event: New diagnosis?
    Posted: 03†Jun†2018 at 9:16am
I have had a sensitive stomach on and off for a number of years but manageable as I knew what foods to avoid. In Feb this year I began to feel tired and blood tests results revealed severe anaemic and 600 mg of ferrus sulphate prescribed. Since then, or it could just be coincidence but I have had constant gnarling lower pain in stomach, reflux and sick taste in mouth. GP referred to hospital and I had endoscopy on Friday. Biopsies taken and told to wait for results. I noticed on the discharge letter it stated orsphageius//reflux and biopsy of Barratts like mucosa.
A I am really worried now. I have got a appointment on any medication. What medication is recommended? A I have ongoing acid in throat, feel sick and stomach near naval feels like it is on fire. I thought I had an ulcer but the endoscopy said I stomach and duodenum looked normal. Any advice would I be great as I am out of my mind with worry. thanks Julia

IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 03†Jun†2018 at 2:41pm
Hi Julia and welcome to the forum.

I am surprised you ave not been prescribed anything.
Your symptoms suggest you have an acid problem and that would normally be addressed by prescribing a "Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPI)" such as omeprazole or lansoprazole.

If you are anaemic, have you noticed passing blood? (eg black stool - though iron medication will make that black anyway) or do you ever cough up blood (which could come from oesophagitis inflammation erosion.

Biopsies can take weeks to be analysed but they would confirm, or otherwise, whether "Barrett's-like" mucosa is in fact Barrett's or not.

Ask your GP whether you should be on a PPI. (Normal "low" maintenance dose is 20mg omeprazole or 30mg lansoprazole daily but it is often prescribed at twice that dose to permit oesophagitis to heal.
You should be able to buy omeprazole from a pharmacist or, buy Nexium (esomeprazole) off the shelf at a supermarket - but it's better to have it prescribed.
An alternative to a PPI, but not as good, is an "H2 blocker" (a histamine 2 receptor antagonist) like ranitidine. You would normally be prescribed 150mg or 300mg daily but you can buy generic ranitidine at 75mg in many places (including poundland where 12 tablets would cost you £1).

In the meantime, you will probably find the free encyclopaedia, "Down With Acid" - about acid, reflux, complications and management, useful.

All the best
Chris
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version