Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Endoscopy Post Reply Post New Topic
Dumps
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Dumps Replybullet Topic: Endoscopy
    Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:30am
Hi I had an endoscopy last week my 2byear routine check up. The report this time shows no Barrett’s completely confused as the last two scopes showed Barrett’s. I still have acid reflux .
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:02am
There can be many reasons why successive scopes appear to show Barrett's has gone away. However, assuming you did have it originally, you will still have it as Barrett's is permanent unless you have it ablated.

It can be the original diagnosis was wrong. Biopsies may have been taken below the z-line (ie from stomach cells rather than oesophagus cells).

If the affected area is very small, the latest scope may have failed to biopsy accurately enough.

It also happens that a new mucosal layer may form over the Barrett's. "Hidden Barrett's" or "multi-layered mucosa" frequently occur.

You will need to manage the acid reflux though, with the acid suppressants you'll have been prescribed and lifestyle. It is not a symptom of Barrett's, which is asymptomatic and will actually mean you're less likely to experience pain of acid refluxing, but of the conditions that contributed to its possible appearance.

If you are concerned, you may always ask for another scope again in a couple of years.
IP IP Logged
NickH
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote NickH Replybullet Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:55pm
Similar thing for me. have had 3 endoscopies now, final one i had ahead of routine scheduled one as i have been experiencing reflux symptoms more regularly. final one came back saying no BO. consultant told me to be happy there was no sign, said my lump in the throat sensation and constant clearing throat was not necessarily a sign of reflux and said he'd see me again in 4 years?

went for a second opinion, that consultant said more or less the same, added that the original diagnosis may have been wrong. not sure i agree as first 2 endoscopies (2 different doctors) both said BO was there, albeit small in their opinion <3cm. final consultant seemed annoyed with me that I wasn't happy to be sent away despite the reflux symptoms, am on 40mg esmeprazole and rantadine at night. she felt i had little to worry about and again reiterated that my symptoms weren't necessarily a sign of reflux??

she did offer the option to call her office if i decided i wanted PH monitoring otherwise i was made to feel like a paranoid patient, would happily be one of those but from all the stuff i've read i feel that my symptoms shouldn't be ignored. don't know the realities of PH monitoring procedure but reckon i should go for it given my symptoms are not going away despite the high dose of PPI's.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version