Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Blood pressure Post Reply Post New Topic
Xlyndax
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote Xlyndax Replybullet Topic: Blood pressure
    Posted: 01†May†2018 at 8:44pm
Hi everyone havenít been on here for a while....
Does anyone know if there is any connection between ppis and blood pressure?
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 01†May†2018 at 10:36pm
Hi Lynda,

There may be a connection but nothing significant - although some scare mongering news sites and "alternative" therapy sites might want to make you think otherwise.

For example, this publication would have us believe, Acid Reflux can cause Heart Disease, and use that as an excuse to push the Fast Tract Diet they have an interest in, whereas the published paper from 2013 that it based the story on looked at the effects on tissue cultures taken from mice: "The researchers found PPIs led to an approximately 25 percent increase in ADMA in mouse and tissue cultures, and reduced the ability of mouse blood vessels to relax by over 30 percent on average."

This paper published in 2016, looked at the effect of PPIs on patients with high blood pressure and concluded, "This study shows that concomitant PPI therapy in hypertensive-patients was associated with a small but statistically significant-reduction in 24-hours-BP, even after multivariate-adjustment. However, this statistical difference seems to lack clinical relevance."

So, whereas the jury may be out, nothing statistically relevant has actually been shown.
IP IP Logged
roganhen
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote roganhen Replybullet Posted: 11†May†2018 at 1:20pm
This is a good question. My blood pressure has been increasing after many years on PPI and I saw a newspaper article stating that PPIs affect the enzyme that releases nitric oxide leading to a loss of elasticity in the blood vessels and an increase in BP and ED. I mentioned this to my GP who said "None of my other PPI patients have high BP!" However he had not been monitoring me so I guess he did not really know.
The chances are that the prime reason for my raised BP is the aging process or, as my GP puts it 'anno domini'.
However the resistance of doctors to take on board the information coming in to their consulting rooms is one reason that long term effects are so under-reported.
My consultant is more realistic and points out that there are numerous studies and opinions on the long term effects of PPIs change from week to week.
Here is an up to date report:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4864131/
The conclusion states:
According to a majority of experimental and clinical observations, PPIs appear to have adverse cardiovascular effects. These effects may be mediated in part through an impairment in vascular homeostasis characterized by NO deficiency and should be considered when PPIs are prescribed, especially, in patients at increased cardiovascular risk.
I am currently having a rest from PPIs and have not noticed a fall in BP so in my case they probably weren't the main reason for my hypertension. Nevertheless I am happy to be off them for the moment.
Good luck and hope this helps.
IP IP Logged
Xlyndax
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Xlyndax Replybullet Posted: 11†May†2018 at 2:32pm
thankyou for replies it makes me concerned about whether I should keep take ppis as dont want to get high blood pressure (mine has gone up a bit andhas always been good. i was tested 2 weeks ago...wonder if I should come off them a while.
I have been on 20mg for about a year for 1cm gastric barretts.
I know I should carry on taking them but would be interested to see if it makes a difference.. .perhaps I should ask doc although they said ppis don't cause high blood pressure

Edited by Xlyndax - 11†May†2018 at 2:33pm
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 11†May†2018 at 3:03pm
Do stay on the PPIs.
One person's experience is not sufficient to overthrow the evidence of the benefits the acid suppressants produce for the majority.
IP IP Logged
steveb8189

Quote steveb8189 Replybullet Posted: 13†May†2018 at 6:51am
If you want a second persons opinion my blood pressure has dropped from 148/110 to 130/90 since starting PPIs...

So many factors can effect blood pressure.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version