Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Clear thick mucus Post Reply Post New Topic
Tcb63
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Tcb63 Replybullet Topic: Clear thick mucus
    Posted: 17†Apr†2018 at 6:15pm
Hi does anyone I get clear thick sticky phlegm coming up into their throat and if so why does this happen also keep getting sore and dry throat and pain in my ears and is their a way of stopping this happening
Thanks Tracy
IP IP Logged
steveb8189

Quote steveb8189 Replybullet Posted: 18†Apr†2018 at 9:58am
Hi Tracy
How long have you had it for? Whilst people with reflux do get sore throats and ear pain it is usually associated with bubbly white mucus produced in the throat due to irritation from the acid. If this is a recent thing I would suggest it may be unrelated i.e. you have some sort of sinus cold.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 18†Apr†2018 at 10:21am
Hi Tracy,

Whereas the stomach and intestines have the extra protection against acid of columnar cells, the oeosphagus normally only has the protection of the mucous it produces.
If your oesophagus is subjected to frequent excess acid refluxing, it may do many things to protect itself. One of those is production of extra mucous.
Other protective measures may include stratification of the epithelium (ie a thickening by adding extra layers), strictures (to restrict reflux by narrowing the oesophagus), etc, and, of course, Barrett's Oesophagus where the oesophagus gets its own columnar cells.
IP IP Logged
Tcb63
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Tcb63 Replybullet Posted: 18†Apr†2018 at 6:11pm
Thanks for the input Steve & chris
As for sinus infection no I havenít got that saw ENT yesterday and they had a look at my ears nose and throat he said all looks ok , Chris Iím currently taking Lansoprazole 30mg morning and tea time as my reflux is really bad my GP changed me from omeprazole 20 mg twice daily , I can also take ranitidine at night if I want and Gaviscon advanced . My question is surely I should be feeling some relief on the higher dose but it doesnít seem to be working Iím having pain in my upper chest and right into my right shoulder and when Iím like this the mucus gets worse and the sore throat it hurts to swallow plus my weight has dropped again . Iím seeing the gastro doc on the 1st May and not sure what to say to him as I havenít seen him since diagnosis Iím not even sure if Iím a candidate for the NF or if you can ask for this procedure .
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 18†Apr†2018 at 6:32pm
20mg omeprazole is equivalent to 30mg lansoprazole. You're not taking a larger dose, just a different PPI. All are as effective as each other when taken in equivalent dose but some people tolerate one more than another. (You can see an equivalence chart here.)

But, although PPIs are good at reducing acid, they are not effective at reducing reflux. (See my paper, "Prevalence of Extra-Oesophageal Reflux symptoms amongst acid refluxers and perceived efficacy of regular medication and reflux reduction intervention" here.

The chest and shoulder pains may be referred by the vagus nerve which runs beside the oesohagus as it passes through the hiatus hole in the diaphragm. Any spasm of the oesophagus may transmit vague messages as if originating form anywhere in the thorax.

I don't know if you'd be a candidate for fundoplication but you could ask your gastro. He's probably a physician rather than a surgeon so would like to keep you treated medically but if your reflux is a problem you can't control, you could possibly make a case for it. I asked my gastroenterologist for it about 10 years ago and eventually got it under NHS - but it takes months of waiting as it's classed as elective surgery.
IP IP Logged
Tcb63
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Tcb63 Replybullet Posted: 18†Apr†2018 at 7:13pm
Chris thanks for that info Iíll be asking gastro lots of questions when I finally see him , Iíve suffered reflux for quiet a few years now but only just got the HH&BO I live near Leeds and Iím not sure who the best surgeons are in my area I know of two at st James hospital but donít know how good they are . They also do private as well have you heard of them at all Mr Simon Dexter &Mr Abeezer Sarela Iím at my wits end and just want to feel well again sorry for all the questions .
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version