Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Event: Surgery option ? - Event Date: 08 Apr 2018 Post Reply Post New Topic
Danny2010
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Danny2010 Replybullet Calendar Event: Surgery option ?
    Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 4:49pm
Hi all I was diagnosed last Christmas with low grade Barrett's, am managing well with ppi and diet cut all foods out that caused issue now gradually introducing more variety however fed up of eating boiled fish and cabbage ,looking into getting surgery to fix hernia , has anyone gone down this route? Thanks in advance Danny ....
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 5:26pm
Hi Danny and welcome to the forum.

Not sure what your doctor describes as "low grade" Barrett's. Barrett's Oesophagus is a permanent cellular addition to the lower oesophagus from gastric stem cells that provide a protection against refluxing acid and bile.
The "normal" Barrett's may be described in various terms including as "Non-Dsyplastic" (NDBO), metaplasia (either gastric, or cardial, or intestinal) or columnar mucosa. That is what the vast majority of us with Barrett's have and how any other descriptor will have started.

Beyond NDBO, if the cells mutate, they could progress to Low Grade Dysplasia, High Grade Dysplasia, Neoplasia or even adenocarcinoma (cancer).

It seems tempting to believe that Barrett's is a result of what we eat. However, we now know this isn't in fact the case. All those who still promote dietary inhibition are actually propagating popular mythology. Of course, if you discover a particular food gives you problems, avoid it but otherwise there's no need to. It's more to do with how we eat then what we eat. Our modern lifestyle seems to dictate we eat far too quickly and usually far too much at a go. We need to take our time to eat, keeping the body upright and allowing each mouthful to progress to the stomach before starting the next. And small portions, taken more frequently - grazing instead of bingeing.

Read the section on Food in the free "Down With Acid" encyclopaedia for more information on this.

As for surgery. I had it 10 years ago. Following 5 hours violent retching from a bout of norovirus 5 years ago, the wrap came loose and I had revision surgery 3 years ago.
For me, it was the best thing I ever did but is not the best route for everyone.

You may read some Patients' Experiences of Fundoplication on the Barrett's Wessex website.
IP IP Logged
Danny2010
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Danny2010 Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2018 at 9:09pm
Hi Many Thanks for the response and I really appreciate your thoughts , apologies for the late response. So going on what you are saying am I right in thinking that drinking acidic beverages ie coffee, beer in moderation is ok as long as it does cause me problems?
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2018 at 10:09pm
Absolutely.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version