Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: A few general questions! Post Reply Post New Topic
Ad1011
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Ad1011 Replybullet Topic: A few general questions!
    Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 7:06pm
So I was diagnosed in January with less than 1cm barretts no dysplasia. 31yo male. I don't have symptoms of heartburn and have always eaten pretty well. I usually only eat out 1 meal a week and have some beers on the weekends. I'm on 20mg Prilosec daily and haven't had any problems taking the medication so far which is great.

I used to eat 2 large meals and overindulge often with my dinner being right before bedtime; typically around 9:30. I have stopped this, eat 3 smaller meals with dinner around 7 now. I was also slightly overweight at 5'9" and 180 lbs (sorry I'm in the US and don't know how you calculate "stone"), down to 160 now. Does anyone feel this could have caused my barretts due to the absence of other GORD symptoms?

About a year ago a friend of mine was diagnosed with terminal cancer which spurred alot of health anxiety for myself and the reason I went to the GI with slight abdominal pain. Pain was intermittent and a 1 out of 10. With his passing and me seeing several docs I'm calmer and without discomfort.

Regarding my diet I can literally eat anything without a hint of discomfort. I read through down with acid and found it helpful, but also a little wierd that I have no triggers.

My GI recommended getting rescoped in 3yrs, this seems a little long to wait was thinking of pushing for 1 year then 3yrs just to put my mind at ease.

What is everyones thoughts?

Thank you

IP IP Logged
Zippypop
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Zippypop Replybullet Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 7:51pm
Hi.

try not to eat too late as that's where the damage maybe done. you may have silent reflux which doesn't always show many symptoms, do you have any throat clearing issues? you say you drink beer. this is carbonated so try switching to an ale or giving it up for a while. Sleep with head of bed raised 6 inches.

doing this along with eating healthier and taking your meds you should be fine.

Chrisrob (expert) will actually tell you not to avoid anything if you don't have any triggers.   I suspect in your case the late night eating didnt help. Eat your naughty stuff in the day and try not to eat 3 hours before bed. give yourself a break on holidays and odd occasions. We all have to live so don't deprive yourself totally. You are more likely to get squished by a bus crossing the road but it doesn't hurt to be careful.

Chrisrob reply will be knowledgeable and interesting regarding your lack of symptoms. he certainly knows his stuff so hang tight for his reply. Peace out brother and breathe....enjoy life ..( should take my own advice😅)

Edited by Zippypop - 04 Apr 2018 at 7:55pm
IP IP Logged
Ad1011
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Ad1011 Replybullet Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 8:10pm
Thanks for the reply! I clear my throat usually once or twice in the morning maybe one other time during the day but that's about it. Haven't eaten late at night since my diagnosis but I haven't raised the bed yet.
IP IP Logged
Zippypop
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Zippypop Replybullet Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 8:14pm
I forgot to ask..what prompted your scope?

Edited by Zippypop - 04 Apr 2018 at 8:15pm
IP IP Logged
Ad1011
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Ad1011 Replybullet Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 8:26pm
A dull ache below my right and left ribs. Would come and go. X-ray showed constipation but did the scope to be safe. I was pretty anxious around then as well which helped nothing lol
IP IP Logged
Zippypop
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Zippypop Replybullet Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 8:33pm
Anxiety causes stomach acid to flare. I know, I have anxiety too. Go for a walk instead of googling. Or find something of interest to concentrate on...trust me, it helps.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version