Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Post Fundo or After the Op Post Reply Post New Topic
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote chrisrob Replybullet Topic: Post Fundo or After the Op
    Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 5:39pm
It is only a week since my operation and, in response to requests, I've attempted to provide a summary in the hope it may be useful for others contemplating following this course of action.

I must admit I was pretty scared at the thought of surgery. (My only previous surgery was to remove my tonsils – but that was over 50 years ago!) And reading reports from others whose operations had gone wrong: http://www.geocities.com/lapro_fundo/ didn't help.

However, I had been on PPIs for 15 years and was on the maximum dose and aware of many side effects – particularly breathlessness that had stopped me from much exercise – so I wanted this done.

It took me 2 years from seeing the GP to being under the knife (including phoning and nagging the hospital frequently).

When it happened, it was all so quick.

I checked in at the hospital at 7:30 in the morning for blood tests, ECG and to see surgeon and anaesthetist to provide consent and to be checked I was fit enough for the op.

I was looking at a clock saying 11:00 precisely when I was lying on the trolley in ante-room to the theatre and the anaesthetist was emptying a syringe into the cannula on the back of my hand. Next I knew, I was looking at an identical clock saying 12:45. I thought I hadn't had the operation but I was in the recovery room feeling very thirsty but feeling no pain.

Eventually I was taken to the ward. I'd had to be kept waiting for 4 hours because the patient who was leaving me a bed had decided to stay on. My wife was getting worried but I'd been getting sleep.

I just wanted to keep drinking and found no problem sipping water. I was on a saline drip all night.

In the morning, the surgeon did his round. He said the operation had gone well and he was pleased with the wrap. He asked if I was able to swallow OK and if there was any pain. I replied yes to the first and no to the second (though I had had soluble paracetamol the night before pre-emptively).

I was brought breakfast: orange juice and porridge. I could eat and drink OK but could only manage half the portion. The same at lunch: fish in cheese sauce with creamed potatoes followed by ice cream.

Because I had demonstrated I could eat, I was able to go home. I was given a box of soluble paracetamol but have only taken a couple of doses.

The first few days I didn't fancy food. I was up and dressed and my wife took me out in the car.

Whenever I did eat or drink I was careful. Half a weetabix in milk was all I could manage for breakfast. A very small portion of a sloppy shepherd's pie. A half glass of wine. A half cup of coffee.

Over the last couple of days I've progressed to slightly less sloppy food: chicken stir fry last night. A cookie. Half an orange. But I get full very soon.

I've lost about 10 pounds; I was told to expect to lose a stone to a stone and a half. I could do with it after having given up on exercise.

I have not needed any medication. I've even had a fruit drink five minutes before lying down -which would have been impossible for the last 15 years.

And I am feeling fitter than for a long time. Today I went for a mile walk but could have kept going without any problem. I want to get on my bike. Unfortunately where I live, it means an uphill push or carry the bike up stairs and I don't think that would be wise. Although I feel fine, I don't want to risk pulling everything apart inside.

All that can be seen of the 5 puncture wounds are small scratches that are rapidly disappearing.

I see the surgeon in clinic in about six weeks.

I feel a bit of a fraud; glad it's over and feeling alive.

Edited by chrisrob - 24 Mar 2009 at 5:40pm
IP IP Logged
Rachel
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Rachel Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 7:20pm
Hi Chris

Glad to hear all is well and your feeling fitter. 

Thanks for all your support.

Rachel
IP IP Logged
NeilC

Quote NeilC Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 8:41pm
Hi Chris,

I echo Rachels comments..Glad to hear that the operation has been a success. Hope this long wait has all been worthwhile and you get back on your bike soon....

Cheers

Neil
IP IP Logged
Mary

Quote Mary Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 5:50pm
Hi Chris,

Your experience is so hopeful and I'm happy you're pleased with the results of your procedure. It's great that you're out and about already.

I am heartened to know that you were able to eat what seems like substantial foods almost immediately. And orange juice, coffee and a little bit of wine...heavenly. I thought clear broth, apple juice and the like were the required diet for several weeks post op. But I might be confusing the lap fundo with the traditional surgery.

Were you able to get off your PPIs immediately after? Has your surgeon or medical advisor ruled out lifting or certain movements until your 6 week follow-up or other milestone?

Mary
IP IP Logged
RonMac
Groupie
Groupie

Quote RonMac Replybullet Posted: 26 Mar 2009 at 8:07am
Good news.

Good report!

RonMac
Scotland

To do is to be--Neitzche
To be is to do--Descartes
Do be Do be Do--Sinatra
To Be is to Burp........Reflux
IP IP Logged
worried mother
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote worried mother Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2009 at 11:11pm
Hi Chris

Fantastic news .... i'm so glad for you. Time to start living again.
My girl now swims like a fish (she thinks she's a mermaid) and is in galas every other week. she says one day she will win a gold at the olympics to give to the man who took the pain away!

I hope your operation and recovery is as good and as speedy as hers was. We wish you all the best.

IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2009 at 8:17am
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the update on your daughter.
I'm so glad for her and you.
And thanks for the previous encouragement you gave me when I was still pushing to get the op done.

Nearly 4 weeks now since I was done and I'm feeling really fit. Have used the bike a number of times. Am eating and drinking anything - in small portions.
Not eating as much fruit as I did before. Perhaps I knew I needed it before? Many of the natural "cures" advertised are fruit based.
Don't have same craving for chocolate I had.  My selenium balance must have sorted itself out. No longer get breathless and lacking in energy. My iron deficiency must have sorted itself out.
The cough hasn't completely gone but is nothing like it was, and seems to be getting better slowly. I guess lung damage from years of reflux doesn't completely heal immediately.

I'm still losing weight. Present rate is 1/2 pound per day. (Was 2 pounds a day initially.) Now down to 12 stone (loss of 1 stone 4 pounds) and would like to lose another 7 pounds. Rate of loss is easing though as I'm now managing slightly larger portions.

I feel great. Thanks.

Perhaps your daughter's a little young for the 2012 in London but will be getting her medal in 2016? Thumbs%20Up

Chris

Chris
IP IP Logged
cardek

Quote cardek Replybullet Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 4:11pm
hi,
Just read your post and thought I would let you know that I had the same op 3 years ago and have never looked back. I am not on any medication, can eat what I want and can sleep soundly. I do not drink anything fizzy and am very careful when lifting, I do not lift anything really heavy. I have not burped since the op and do therefore suffer with flatulence but that is a small price to pay. I have my Barett's checked every 2 years by the surgeon who did the op so he also keeps an eye on the wrap. Every now and then I struggle swallowing but this  is generally caused by my own stupidity in not chewing properly or putting too much in my mouth. It has without doubt been a success and I have no regrets whatsoever. Hope you found this useful.

Edited by cardek - 21 Apr 2009 at 4:12pm
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 5:32pm
Hi Cardek,

Good to have you on-board.
Things are really great now. 5 weeks on. My weight has stabilised just 1st 4lb below what I was. (I'd have liked to lose another half stone but now I'm able to exercise again, it shouldn't be a problem shifting that.

Afraid I have done some lifting - and a couple of weeks ago. I was careful, and my wife told me off for doing it, but new neighbours were dismantling a stone wall and said we could have the stones (which we wanted for our garden). But fortunately no ill-effects. And I have been cycling (some steep hills here), too.

I sip fizzy drinks (not too fizzy). I have managed a couple of very gentle little burps but usually feel a little pressure building inside instead that just dissipates.

I, too, have had a problem swallowing twice - which was my own fault when I've tried to eat too much too quickly. (Old habits die hard.)

Thanks for your encouragement. Glad it's still as good after 3 years.

All the best

Chris
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version