Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Moderate dysplasia Post Reply Post New Topic
Molly6460
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Molly6460 Replybullet Topic: Moderate dysplasia
    Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 6:08pm
my doctors told me I have moderate abnormal cells in my oesphagus he said it's not cancer but needs to be closely monitored is this the same as Barretts or is it different and can it be treated before it gets worse and what would the treatment be.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 6:16pm
Sounds like he mean "ordinary" Barrett's. The best thing is, knowing you have it, you receive medication that reduces risk of possible progression and the regular monitoring (surveillance scopes every few years) will see if any dysplastic changes occur whence ablation may be the best treatment.
It's those who have Barrett's that don't know - and won't know until it's too late - who are more likely to get cancer.
IP IP Logged
Molly6460
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Molly6460 Replybullet Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 6:49am
Thanks for your reply what does "ordinary" Barretts mean the doctors doubled my medication to 60mg of lansaprozole and I,m going for another endoscopy in a few weeks time he said the last one showed a lot of inflammation so something may have been missed . Do cells take a long time to change or can it happen quickly . I find myself worrying a lot sleepless nights etc is this normal ? I try not to think about it to much but it seems to be taking over my life . Sorry for moaning .
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 8:26am
Sorry for any confusion. I just used the term "ordinary" Barrett's to refer to what the vast majority of us with the condition have - metaplastic columnar cells lining the mucosa of the lower oesophagus produced from gastric stem cells as an "armour plating" to protect against acid.

60mg lansoprazole is equivalent to 40mg omeprazole.

Inflammation (oesophagitis) means the area will be red and raw (ans even, in some severe cases, bleeding) which can make it more difficult for the endoscopist but they are used to that and should have managed to harvest suitable biopsies.
We do not know enough about who is susceptible to cellular changes. In some people, it does happen quickly but in most of us it will never happen. There's much research focusing on this as they're the ones who require surveillance scoping. For most of us, surveillance scopes are really only necessary to provide the patient nothing's changed.
IP IP Logged
Molly6460
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Molly6460 Replybullet Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 2:06pm
Thanks for that the original biopsies came back benign that's why it was a shock when I was told about the cells being abnormal.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 5:45pm
Benign means not cancerous. Barrett's cells are not normal but for most of us are of little concern as they won't become cancerous.
IP IP Logged
steveb8189

Quote steveb8189 Replybullet Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 9:33am
Think of it like a mole on your skin. It's not "normal" but also not cancerous i.e. benign.
IP IP Logged
Molly6460
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Molly6460 Replybullet Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 5:19pm
I,ve now been told I don't have Barretts but have moderate Dysplasia squamous cells I don't know a lot about this so I,m reading up on it I have to go for another endoscope soon the doctor said it will be monitored which I know is good but still a worry .
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version