Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Event: Hiatus hernia & Barrettís - Event Date: 30†Jan†2018 Post Reply Post New Topic
Tcb63
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Tcb63 Replybullet Calendar Event: Hiatus hernia & Barrettís
    Posted: 30†Jan†2018 at 5:47pm
Hi every one and admin
Iím a newby to this forum and hope it gives me more insight how to deal with being diagnosed with hiatus hernia and Barrettís . I had my scope done last Thursday and these are the results of it .
Biopsies have been sent off so donít know yet the results , it did say on my report 1cm Barrettís of tounge and 3 cm hiatus hernia all a bit mumbo jumbo to me to be fair 🤔. I do suffer from really bad bile reflux and have done for years and Iím having the pep test in 3 weeks not looking forward to them either . Iím also suffering with a sore throat mucus build up and persistent cough has any one else got these symptoms and if so is there a reason why I would be grateful of any feed back as itís making me think all sorts of things as Iíve already googled Barrettís and itís meaning as the endoscopic doc didnít say 😫
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 30†Jan†2018 at 6:06pm
Hi and welcome.

For your Barrett's to form, you must have had the three ingredients: Reflux + Acid + Bile.
The most common reason for reflux is a hiatus hernia. See this chapter of the Down With Acid book.

I am assuming you have been prescribed acid suppressant medication (a Proton Pump Inhibitor like omeprazole)? It reduces the easiest of the 3 ingredients, the acid. You may still be refluxing bile but without the acid it's less damaging.
However, PPI medication doesn't reduce the reflux which you have to try and manage by lifestyle, as described in this chapter of the book, or surgery. The cough is one of the symptoms of the reflux which, travelling full column and breaching the upper sphincter (properly termed Extra-Oesophageal Reflux, or more commonly LPR) can aspirate into the respiratory system.

The Peptest will only determine whether you have pepsin in your throat. Since it is only produced in the stomach, its presence in the throat will only confirm you have reflux.

Meanwhile, be wary of what you read on the internet. Charlatans and snake-oil salesmen abound. Always attempt to determine whether the source is trusted - eg any quoted "research" should provide a proper citation so it can be checked for validity and always look to see whether the bottom line is trying to sell you something.

This site (Barrett's UK, www.Barretts.org.uk) has links to all the Barrett's support groups and reputable sources of information in UK.
IP IP Logged
Tcb63
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Tcb63 Replybullet Posted: 30†Jan†2018 at 6:30pm
Hi chrisrob
Thank you for your reply
Iíve being on ppi for years but only just diagnosed with hernia and Barrettís had scope done 20 months ago and all was ok so itís only just happened I did have my gallblader out about 7 years ago and the bile has gotten worse since I also have trouble when eating as it irratates my throat is this normal as didnít have it before
IP IP Logged
Tcb63
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Tcb63 Replybullet Posted: 25†Feb†2018 at 5:58pm
Hi Chris can you shed any light on my path results from my endo please as I dont know what they meen it would be much appreciated.

ROUTINE HISTOLOGY
REPORTING SEQ. 1 Specimen Type : Oesophageal biopsy
HISTOLOGY REPORT
SPECIMEN TYPE
Oesophageal biopsy.
CLINICAL DETAILS
Dysphagia reflux. Barretts oesophagus, tongue of Barretts.
MACROSCOPIC EXAMINATION
Two pieces of tissue, each 2mm.
MICROSCOPIC EXAMINATION
These are pieces of glandular mucosa. Squamous epithelium is not
included.
Native oesophageal structures are not seen. There is no evidence of
significant
inflammation, intestinal metaplasia, dysplasia or malignancy. The
morphological
appearances are in keeping with the endoscopic impression of
Barrett''s
mucosa.
SUMMARY
Oesophageal biopsy - Keeping with Barrett''s mucosa.
Pathologists:
Dr Mathew J Alemkunnapuzha
Thanks Tracy

Edited by Tcb63 - 25†Feb†2018 at 5:59pm
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 25†Feb†2018 at 6:12pm
The endoscopist took 2 biopsies of what looked like a tongue of Barrett's: you had been having some swallowing problems associated with reflux.
The histology report shows no evidence of significan inflammation nor of intestinal metaplasia. In US this would not be classed as Barrett's. In UK columnar cells as found in the stomach ("cardial metaplasia") can be considered to be Barrett's.
No progression (dysplasia) present which is good.
So it looks as if you have a small area of Barrett's.
IP IP Logged
Tcb63
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Tcb63 Replybullet Posted: 25†Feb†2018 at 6:25pm
Thank you itís all very confusing and takes quiet a lot of getting used to . So glad I joined this group it helps a lot 🙂
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version