Support Forum
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Support Forum  
Message Icon Event: Slippery elm alternatives to PPI's? - Event Date: 07áJaná2018 Post Reply Post New Topic
marioncole
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote marioncole Replybullet Calendar Event: Slippery elm alternatives to PPI's?
    Posted: 07áJaná2018 at 12:51pm
Does anyone know if there are any alternatives to taking PPI's on an permanent basis (i take 40mg daily and have been on it for years)? I am concerned about the long term side effects of this medication. I have been looking at slippery elm and wondered if anyone had any info or knew of any validated research anywhere that indicated this might be an alternative.
Thanks
Marion
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 07áJaná2018 at 2:09pm
Hi Marion and welcome to the forum.

Continual medication with PPIs is the best course of treatment for those of us with Barrett's Oesophagus.

The popular press loves scare stories so you will see occasional reports blaming PPIs for all sorts of things: Chronic Kidney Disease, Dementia, Myocardial Infarction, Gastric Cancers etc...
The truth is, when you look at the papers they use for their source material, they usually refer to specific cohorts of patients who will have confounding factors and show a correlation rather than cause. (See this page of the free Down With Acid encyclopaedia.)
PPIs are the most widely prescribed drugs worldwide probably saving the lives of millions in the 30 years they have been available.

A meta-analysis f all research on the subject in 2014 found "PPI use was associated with a 71% reduction in risk of OAC [Cancer] and/or BO-HGD [Dysplastic Barrett's] in patients with BO."

Because of all the scare stories (mainly in US as a backlash against high drug prices), the American Gastroenterology Association commissioned a team of highly qualified experts to assess the benefit to risk ratio of taking PPIs. You may read their findings in a Special report here. It concluded, "The controlled evidence that PPIs are safe and effective for acute relief of heartburn, healing of esophagitis and peptic ulcers, and other specific treatment goals for which they are indicated is exceptional. ... The consistency of the efficacy and safety in the multicenter trials on which these indications are based provides a strong foundation on which to reassure patients likely to benefit from these therapies."

So why would you want an alternative?

As far as Slippery Elm goes, it can act as a demulcent. That is it can cause the oesophagus to produce extra mucus to help protect and act as a soothing balm to oesophagitis. But it has no medical properties to reduce acid or reflux.
There is only a passing reference to it in the Down With Acid book here as no valid research results could show efficacy.
IP IP Logged
marioncole
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote marioncole Replybullet Posted: 14áJaná2018 at 3:01pm
Thank you for such a quick and detailed reply together with some other information which I will check out and read. I do worry about the long term effects of taking the medication particularly as I am on a high(ish) dosage of 40mg daily. But guess I am fortunate that I finally got a diagnosis as this is something I have had all my life.
Thank you for taking the time to respond
Marion
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 14áJaná2018 at 3:29pm
All the best Marion.

40mg is the normal high dose. You could try reducing to 20mg - the normal maintenance dose an possibly supplement this with ranitidine at night if required. (Discuss it with your doctor.)

I was on omeprazole for 15 years, increasing to 80mg daily for the last few prior to fundoplication.
With the high dose over a sustained period, I did become anaemic through induced hypochlorhydria.
IP IP Logged
roganhen
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote roganhen Replybullet Posted: 19áJaná2018 at 12:58pm
Hi Marion,
The problem with PPIs is that they do not stop reflux only change the PH. I have to use Gaviscon tablets in addition because they contain alginate which is a rafting agent. I have tried slippery elm but it does not seem as effective. However slippery elm lozenges, as used by professional singers, are very effective at soothing the oesophagus and I have found them to be really helpful after an endoscopy with biopsies
I use slippery elm lozenges if my oesophagus feels irritated and they are work for me.
I have tried slippery elm food as an evening drink on the grounds that it might make any reflux at night less irritating but it did not do a lot for me.
Best wishes,
Roganhen
IP IP Logged
marioncole
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote marioncole Replybullet Posted: 20áJaná2018 at 1:07pm
Thank you - will talk to my doctor. I have also ordered the Down with Acid book. I hadn't realised that PPIs were a limited solution in that they don't deal with all the problems.

Many thanks for your help -so glad I had found this forum as the doctors/consultants don't really seem that keen on discussing overall management or long term effects.

Thank you
Marion
IP IP Logged
marioncole
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote marioncole Replybullet Posted: 20áJaná2018 at 1:10pm
Hi Roganhen
I hadn't realised (and have never been told) that PPIs don't stop the reflux although my doctor had told me to take Gaviscon as well but didn't explain why.
I will try the lozenges and see if they help
Thank you for making the time to reply

Best wishes
Marion
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version