Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :General
Message Icon Topic: New member Post Reply Post New Topic
Mags
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Mags Replybullet Topic: New member
    Posted: 04áJaná2018 at 8:36am
Hi I am new to this forum I have a silly question but going to ask anyway I was told last April that I had Barrett's I have done lots of research on the subject I can't find anything about secondary cancer this happens with other cancers just wanted to know if anyone is aware of this happening.
IP IP Logged
pylorius
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote pylorius Replybullet Posted: 04áJaná2018 at 10:28am
Hi Mags

I cant answer your question but welcome to the forum. I am relatively new also and found it a very helpful forum and so i am sure someone will try to answer your question.

Pylorius
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 04áJaná2018 at 10:34am
Hi Mags,

Not a silly question at all. Never worry about posting any questions you may have, we're all happy to help.

As I understand it, cancers can spread, or metastasise, to other locations in the body where they become secondary cancers. The organs most commonly affected are lymph nodes, lungs, liver, bones. Although I'm sure it's possible, I've not heard of cancers metastasising to the oesophagus.

Oesophageal cancer, if it does develop, is very virulent and by the time it reaches the point of metastasising, it's usually too late to save the patient.

Those of us who have been identified with Barrett's oesophagus are lucky. With medication and surveillance, it is very unlikely we will develop the cancer - and in the very small chance that we did, it would be found soon enough to eradicate safely before it reached the point of metastasising.

As you are aware, Barrett's has no symptoms. Any symptoms you may experience will be due to the acid or reflux that contributed to its development. Barrett's cells are less sensitive than the normal squamous cells lining the oesophagus. Those who have Barrett's but don't know it are unlikely to notice the initial stages of development of the cancer and by the time they do notice problems (usually swallowing difficulties), their prognosis is usually measured in weeks. Only about 15% diagnosed with oesophageal cancer survive more than 5 years.
That's why the principal aim of Barrett's Wessex is to reduce deaths to the cancer by raising awareness of Barrett's Oesophagus.

This chapter in the Down With Acid book, describes oesophageal cancer.
IP IP Logged
Mags
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Mags Replybullet Posted: 04áJaná2018 at 5:43pm
Thank you that has helped me a lot .So glad I found this site I will certainly try to give support in any way that I can .
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version