Message Icon Topic: Medication Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Molly6460
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Molly6460 Replybullet Topic: Medication
    Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 12:49pm
I,ve recently been diagnosed with Barretts and an ulcer . I've been taking 20mg of orezaprene twice a day the first few days were fine but now I feel constantly sick and generally unwell . I know I,m feeling very anxious about everything at the moment and that won't be helping but is it normal to feel sick all the time .
IP IP Logged
pylorius
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote pylorius Replybullet Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 8:47pm
Hi Molly

I suspect it is your system getting used to new medicine but if you continue to feel unwell I suggest you go back to your GP and discuss it with them.

Let us know how you get on.

Pylorius
IP IP Logged
Molly6460
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Molly6460 Replybullet Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 8:05am
Hi went back to the doctor and he's changed my medication only took it yesterday for the first time so I,ll wait to see how it goes . I.ve also been experiencing a horrible heaviness in my chest when lying down I,ve felt it sometimes when I,m sat up but not as bad it feels like trapped wind could that be possible I,ve never had it before could it be the tablets ? I thought the tablets were going to make me better but up to now I,ve been worse does it take a while for your body to adjust . I just want to feel better not worse x
IP IP Logged
pylorius
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote pylorius Replybullet Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 10:26am
Hi Molly

Early days yet for the new meds, hopefully things will settle down soon for you. What have you been prescribed?

From my experience if you lie down on your back then this can cause reflux and give a 'heartburn' type of pain in the chest. A helpful tip, given on this forum, is to try lying on your left side. I certainly have found that reduces reflux and thus pain, compared with lying on my back or right side. I tend to get trapped wind after tea, which tends to cause an ache lower down, but walking about and not sitting for too long eases that discomfort.

I hope you feel less discomfort soon and keep us posted about how things are going.

Kind regards

Pylorius
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 10:40am
Hi Molly,

There are many different PPI drugs that are all as effective as each other at reducing acid but patients often find they manage one better than another, or "get used" to one, so changing to a different one usually helps.

Pains in the chest are common from the reflux that caused your Barrett's.

PPIs stop acid but not reflux which you may need to manage by lifestyle modification (See this chapter in the Down With Acid book.)
IP IP Logged
pylorius
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote pylorius Replybullet Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 6:15pm
Hi Molly

How are things going with the new meds?

Pylorius
IP IP Logged
Molly6460
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Molly6460 Replybullet Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 5:59pm
Hi pylorius things have been better since changing the tablets . I don't feel sick anymore. I had a letter from the hospital yesterday saying I had inflammation but no mention of Barretts do you know if Barretts and inflammation are the same it has confused me .
IP IP Logged
pylorius
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote pylorius Replybullet Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 6:59pm
Hi Molly

Good to hear that the new meds are helping. As I understand it inflammation is not the same as Barretts and your letter would have indicated Barretts if they had found it.

Kind regards

Pylori us
IP IP Logged
steveb8189

Quote steveb8189 Replybullet Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 7:15pm
Hi Molly
I see in your original message you said you had been diagnosed with Barretts. It may be worth sharing what was said in the original diagnosis and the results of the biopsies so we can help to explain. Barretts is a permanent cell change so it is strange they now are not mentioning it.

Steve
IP IP Logged
Molly6460
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Molly6460 Replybullet Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 3:42pm
Hi Steve I had an endoscope in December and a nurse spoke to me afterwards and said I had Barretts and an ulcer . They took a lot of biopsies and I,ve just had a letter from the hospital saying the biopsies were benign but I have inflammation there's no mention of an ulcer or Barretts but I have to go for another endoscope in February to see if the medication is working. It's all a bit confusing is Barretts and inflammation the same I,m hoping to get some answers when I go back but at the moment I am getting more information from this forum which is really good
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version