Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Event: Endoscopy & PPIs - Event Date: 27 Dec 2017 Post Reply Post New Topic
pylorius
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote pylorius Replybullet Calendar Event: Endoscopy & PPIs
    Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 3:53pm
Hi All

I have just joined the forum as I had an endoscopy just over a week ago. I was diagnosed with hiatus hernia and Barretts. Also polyps which were taken for biopsy. I have a couple of questions I hope you can answer for me:

1. Before the examination I didn't really have any symptoms but since the examination my symptoms are worse and wondered if this is usual?

2. In early Sept I went to the GP with persistent indigestion, bloated stomach etc. and he prescribed Omeprazole (20mg - opd) for 4 weeks, which worked very well and my symptoms dissipated but then returned after about 3 weeks from stopping the ppi, hence the endoscopy. However, since my endoscopy Omeprazole is not really helping (nor is Gaviscon come to that) and wondered if anyone else has had this type of experience following endoscopy?

Thanks alot

IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 5:10pm
Hi Pylorius and welcome to the club.

A few people claim their symptoms are worse after diagnosis but there's no good reason why that should be.
If you think of the oesophagus as a deflated bicycle tyre, it does need inflating during examination. It is possible that this could exacerbate reflux of stomach acid - though there shouldn't really be much there at the time of your scope as you will have fasted at least 12 hours before.

If that is the explanation, though, you would expect it to go back to normal quickly.

20mg omeprazole is the low maintenance dose. It may be you need to increase this for a week or two. Discuss it with your doctor.

Are your symptoms predominantly acid or reflux? PPIs like your omeprazole are good at reducing acid but not reflux which needs to be managed by lifestyle or surgery.

All the best
Chris
IP IP Logged
pylorius
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote pylorius Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 6:28pm
Hi Chris

Thank you for your response. I am very grateful. I had fasted for 12h before the examination.

Looking at the table of symptoms that are linked to the forum, I would say my symptoms are from reflux rather than acid, however, I am not sure why taking omeprazole (20mg) completely relieved my symptoms during September into October and allowed me to eat/drink as normal. Yet when approx. 3 weeks after stopping the ppi my symptoms returned albeit low level. Certainly the level of discomfort now is similar to that which I experienced before initially going to see my GP in September, i.e. I now feel bloated, sore throat and soreness in my oesophagus. Prior to the examination I felt none of these symptoms.

I have an appointment to see my GP on the 2nd Jan and so will discuss the matter with him and perhaps ask him to increase the dose of Omeprazole.

Regards    
IP IP Logged
pylorius
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote pylorius Replybullet Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 3:37pm
Just a quick update. The discomfort following the endoscopy disipated after about 2 weeks so must have been due to the examination procedure. I am now on 40mg bid Omeperazole for a month and if symptoms have relaxed to go back to 20mg opd. Biopsy results for the Barretts and also stomach polyps were clear, so relieved about that.

Reflux at night is the main issue and not got used to sleeping in a semi-sitting position. Some nights better than others and I can get away with sleeping on my left side. I try to not eat anything in the 3 hours before I go to bed.

One of the most interesting features of my short learning curve has been what I can and cannot eat/drink. I cannot eat toffees, previously they were never a problem, I can eat chocolate but not chocolate coated toffee. I have not experienced anything else yet that causes a problem. I can still drink beer and cider and white wine (not together! ) but can no longer cope with red wine. Coffee and tea are also fine.

So taking everything into consideration it could be worse so not complaining.

All the best to people

Pylorius
IP IP Logged
steveb8189

Quote steveb8189 Replybullet Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 9:09am
That good news Pylorius

I also have problems with toffee - I've always put it down to the high fat content meaning it remains in the stomach for a while after eating.

You're lucky with tea and coffee as they seem to be my nemesis...
IP IP Logged
pylorius
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote pylorius Replybullet Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 6:14pm
Thanks Steve

Interesting that you have an issue with toffee, it may well be the high fat content. Chocolate is quite high too but that doesn't seem to cause me a problem. It could be the type of fats and as you say how they are metabolised.

Sorry to hear that coffee and tea are no go areas for you. I am not sure how I would function without a few mugs of coffee each day.

All the best

Pylorius
IP IP Logged
Molly6460
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Molly6460 Replybullet Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 6:10pm
It's good you can still drink beer cider and wine I stopped drinking white wine a few weeks ago and when I tried some recently I found I didn't like the taste any more and I used to love it I.ve also gone off coffee but i can manage an occasional lager . Glad your doing well
IP IP Logged
pylorius
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote pylorius Replybullet Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 7:08pm
Hi Molly

Thank you and yes I am very happy that I can still take most of the food and drink that I enjoy. After finding out that I had Barretts and reading more about it, I found out that people had trouble with a wide range of food and drink, especially coffee and alcohol.

Pylorius
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version