Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :General  
Message Icon Topic: Feeling overwhelmed Post Reply Post New Topic
Molly6460
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Molly6460 Replybullet Topic: Feeling overwhelmed
    Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 5:02pm
Hi just been diagnosed with Barrett's and an ulcer I.m feeling very overwhelmed and am suffering bad anxiety and feeling sad all the time. I can't sleep although I,m tired and I don't feel like eating . Will these feelings calm down .
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 10:39am
Hi Molly and welcome to the club.

It is always unnerving to be told you have a condition you've never heard of before, particularly when you then find out there is a (very small) chance it can lead to cancer.

Barrett's cells form to protect the body - a bit like a sheet of armour, to stop the refluxing acid from eroding the oesophagus. You may like to think of it as a friend. If you treat him well, he'll continue doing his job. You can make his job easier with the acid suppressant medication you will have been prescribed. However, there is that very slight risk he could turn nasty, so regular surveillance scopes every few years will check up on him and if any changes (called "dysplasia") are ever seen, ablation therapy will get rid of it.

There may be as many as 3 million people in the UK with Barrett's but fewer than 150 thousand know. They are he ones who are most likely to contract the cancer and won't know until it's too late.
For 95% of us with Barrett's, there will never be any progression. I've had my 3cm non-dysplastic Barrett's for at least 24 years and probably much longer and will probably still have it when I die, of something unrelated.

You may find The Journey (from diagnosis to treatment) talk on the Barrett's Wessex website from one of our consultant gastroenterologists, useful.

And this book, Down With Acid is the free definitive encyclopaedia about acid, reflux, complications and management. You may read it online, download it as a pdf file or send me yur postal address and I'll put a printed copy in the post to you.

A final link that may be useful is Barrett's UK (www.Barretts.org.uk) which is the hub for the slowly developing network of UK Barrett's support groups with links to all useful information.
IP IP Logged
Molly6460
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Molly6460 Replybullet Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 11:13am
Thank you so much for your reply I.ve had a few stressful things going on lately and thought that the symptoms I was experiencing was connected to that so it was a big shock when I got this diagnosis last week. They also took biopsies so I keep thinking about the results from those which will be about another two weeks wait for the results. Reading your reply has helped me and I.m feeling a bit more reassured thank you so much . I.ll keep in touch
IP IP Logged
Alan64
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Alan64 Replybullet Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 1:29pm
I felt very similar to u when i was in ur position, keep us updated with ur results and that and the members here can give u there support it realy is a great site
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version