Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: reflux surgery & gastritis, arrhythmia Post Reply Post New Topic
exbenzo
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote exbenzo Replybullet Topic: reflux surgery & gastritis, arrhythmia
    Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 6:45am
Hello guys, right now I'm wondering is there any specific medical evaluation that is required if I'm going to do reflux surgery? I mean, for example, I have gastritis, can I do the surgery then? Or it all depends to the surgeon's decision after personal evaluation?

One more question if I may, does reflux also cause heart arrhythmia? Because I've had arrhythmia since I was a teenager (I'm sure I've had undiagnosed reflux since childhood, though back then was not very disturbing). My arrhythmia is better now, only occasionally. I've had my heart checked many many times with various testing devices by several cardiologists and overall the results were always fine. So I have strong suspect in reflux as the cause for this.

Thanks so much.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 11:10am
Standard tests prior to fundoplication will be on your acid levels and pressure difference over the lower sphincter. These are usually done at the same time using 24hr pH manometry.
You may read a patient's account of that procedure here.
They may also wish to perform a Barium Swallow test to ascertain the efficacy of your peristalsis.
The gastritis is usually a result of too much acid and/or slow stomach emptying (gastroparesis) which may be a contributory cause for your reflux. they may try increasing your PPI and wish to do other tests on stomach emptying first.

As to a connection between reflux and heart arrhythmia, I do believe this is a strong possibility. (My father, who suffered from acid reflux, died of a heart attack.) I'm sure I've read a research paper on it fairly recently, but a trawl through the Barrett's Wessex research archives only found this Russian study published last year: The frequency and clinical aspects of extraesophageal syndromes in elderly patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease - "Chronic cough, asthma, chronic laryngitis, cardialgias and cardiac arrhythmias were much more common in elderly patients with GERD than in those without this condition and prevalent in patients with erosive esophagitis and Barrett's esophagus."

The Livestrong site does have this article Can Acid Reflux Disease Cause Heart Palpitations? written by Dr Jonathan Aviv (voice doctor from New York) who isn't usually the first person I'd turn to for advice on this subject.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 11:20am
IP IP Logged
exbenzo
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote exbenzo Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 12:05pm
I see. Thanks so much for always helping me through your in-depth and swift replies, Chris! I really appreciate it!

*PS: Ideally, I don't want to take surgery route for reflux. I keep trying the best I can to get rid of my reflux through non-surgical means (lifestyle, nutrition, etc.), although I know the fact that, medically-wise and currently, surgery is the only cure for this condition, so I have to keep reminding myself that, while trying in non-surgical route, as for now.

Edited by exbenzo - 12 Dec 2017 at 3:47am
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version