Page  of 2 Next >>
njd2
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote njd2 Replybullet Topic: Ph test/monometry testing
    Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 1:52pm
Hi all,

I am having the 24 hour PH testing and the monmetry testing done next Wednesday.

I have already been referred to a surgeon who I have been told will want the results.

The Dr performing the PH testing has promised to send me a copy of the results within 48 hours.

With the results, what should I be looking for? what will the surgeon be looking for?

Thanks in advance
IP IP Logged
Kangoo
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Kangoo Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 2:26pm
Are you NHS or private?
I had the PH tests done in April under the NHS (it wasn't as bad as people make out). Heard nothing till July, so thought things might be OK. Went back to see my NHS GI consultant and he hadn't even read the report! When he did all he said is that I needed a fundoplication, but he did not explain anything about the results.
It was only when I chose a GI surgeon privately, did the new guy explain the results to me. Cannot remember the detail but I had a high acid score of 47 and my sphincter was very lax.
However, I am sure that there will be others on this forum that will be better able to help you when you get your results.
IP IP Logged
steveb8189

Quote steveb8189 Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 2:49pm
The surgeon will certainly want the results as it may show you have no reflex issues - in which case the surgery would be pointless!

I had a good read through of my results as they are quite interesting - you should get a print out copy once they have been analysed. On the NHS it took about 3 months and a couple of chase emails and calls to get hold of mine though so don't expect it to happen overnight.

Good luck with the procedure. It was a little unpleasant but not too much of a problem
IP IP Logged
njd2
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote njd2 Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 3:12pm
Thanks guys,

I am (unfortunately) paying to do this privately to speed the process up. To get it done privately I could get an appointment within the week and promised a copy of the results within 48 hours. On the NHS my gastroenterologist warned it would be 3 months for the appointment and a further 3 months for the results.

How did you find the actual procedure? it sounds pretty nasty..
IP IP Logged
steveb8189

Quote steveb8189 Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 3:56pm
It's not that bad. The manometry is the most uncomfortable part as the tube they put down is wider than the one which you have for 24 hours. It's a matter of getting on and following their instructions for 15 minutes or so.

You will have some discomfort during the 24 hour monitoring and eating will feel like you've got something stuck in your throat but it's important to try and stick with your normal daily activites.

The worst part for me was going home on the underground with a tube sticking out of my nose - someone did offer to give up their seat for a change though!
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 6:28pm
Hi njd2,

Read my blog of when I had the 24hr pH manometry here in the Patients' experiences on Barrett's Wessex website.
IP IP Logged
Kangoo
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Kangoo Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 8:17pm
I found the manometry (pressure test) uncomfortable as it involved threading the tube through your nose (something I found rather sensitive). However it is over pretty quickly.
Wearing the pack for the 24 hr test was not that bad once fitted. I was surprised that I slept OK with it. The only thing was the peculiar sensation when eating as the food tugs on the tube a little.
However, overall its not a thing to worry too much about. However the results are important to decide whether to go for fundoplication. So its a test that you will need.
IP IP Logged
Bobib

Quote Bobib Replybullet Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 4:34pm
Presumably you have been referred to the surgeon because they are considering fundoplication. In that case the manometry/PH study serves two purposes:

1 - The PH study will tell you whether your reflux issue is bad enough to warrant surgery.

2- The manometry will tell you the state of your esophageal, and so whether you are a suitable candidate for surgery. What they look for here is whether you have healthy esophageal motility (i.e. good contraction pattern, pressure and relaxation) so that you don't end up with swallowing difficulties after surgery.
IP IP Logged
njd2
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote njd2 Replybullet Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 11:01pm
Hi all,

So I just got the results of the monometry and PH test... please can anybody help me interpret them (there is a lot of different information so I have no idea what is what or what the surgeon will look for)...

PH test:
Distal oesopheagus
De Meester score - 27.59
SAP score 96.9
number of events 144
% time ph < 4 - 6.2%

proximal oesophagus
number of events - 3
de meester - 0.81

For the monemtery there's lots of scores, but they key points seem to be LOS resting pressure of 15 mmHg. Oesophageal body shows normal propagation but weak contractile responses when swallowing water.

I had a good day symptom wise when I had the test (or better than normal at least) so interested to know how these results compare to others...
Thanks in advance..
IP IP Logged
steveb8189

Quote steveb8189 Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 11:59am
Did it not split the pH test results into day time and night time?

Looks to me like you have a good LOS pressure - within the normal range. You do experience more than the "normal" number of reflux episodes though. By contrast, my LOS pressure was 4.

Sounds like you are on a better position than me and could respond well to lifestyle changes given your LOS is actually performing well.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version