Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Support Forum
Message Icon Topic: Recently diagnosed Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 4 Next >>
DebbieEvo

Online Status: Offline
Quote DebbieEvo Replybullet Topic: Recently diagnosed
    Posted: 17áMará2009 at 2:23pm
Hello,
I was diagnosed with Barretts in early February and have taken a little while to come to terms with things. I'm very glad I've found this forum as would like to share my experiences with other poeple and hopefully gain some knowledge relating to the condition.
One of my main concerns is my age, I am 40 and seem to be quite young to have Barretts, I'd be interested to hear from anyone of similar age. I weigh 7 1/2 stone so weight is not the issue. I also have 2 young children so would certainly like to be around to see them into adulthood!
I have had health problems for the last 3 years or so and have been under a private consultant (totally healthy before having kids!!), during which time I was diagnosed with under active thyroid and  eosophagitis. Despite medication I have continued to feel unwell.
Things came to head about 6 weeks ago when I was rushed into A&E with severe stomach pains.  I was told I was severely aneamic (blood count 7.7) and referred back to my consultant. He admitted me into hospital straightaway and I underwent numerous tests including a repeat gastroscopy which detected the Barrett's. All the other tests were clear, and I was told the Barrett's is not severe enough to cause a bleed - so they are still unsure why my blood count is so low.
After reading a post on this site it was mentioned that PPI's can stop the absorption of iron - I mentioned this to me Cons and he said "yes, that's true" . I have been taking 2x 30mg Lansoprazole for over 2 years, which I know is a high dose and have often questioned if this dose could be harmful to which I have been told - no. However this now could be the reason for my aneamia? I am due to go back to my Consultant in April but not sure where we go from here.
I feel very anxious at the moment and concerned I am never going to feel well. If anyone has had similar experiences or can provide any useful information I would be very grateful.
One final thought - why is Barretts not treated straightaway, why wait? is this due to the uncertainty of the current treatments available?

Thanks for taking time to read this.

Debbie

IP IP Logged
Moggs

Quote Moggs Replybullet Posted: 17áMará2009 at 5:01pm
Hi debbie

We all seem to suffer from anxiety and dpression with this esspecially when 1st diagnosed but look back on older entries in the site and you'll find it helpfull. A lot of us are on diazapam or antidpressants of some sort. The trouble is that 'C' word comes up in connectio with Barretts but bear in mind we are the lucky ones withit who have been diagnosed so are being monitored . Also there is now a lot of research into Barrett's going on in Cambridge & London and elsewher around the world, than there was even a year ago. They have found some new treatments even since I've been diagnosed in 2000.   

When I go to my consultant I take a list of questions I've just started typeing the nxt lot for when I go for my next gastroscopie on 31st this mth. He's always very plesant about it and gives me straight answers.

Also my GP a women is very good to talk to a women to women is best as probably a man to man for the men is. So don't put up with how you feel and make yrself feel worse go to yr GP.   

I suggest you look at the recent messages on the forum from Ronmac ,Suzy, Pyqmalion, & Ralph, they'll give you a giggle they like a new breath of fresh air!.

Remember we're here to support each other.  

Unlike you I do not have young children but 3 smashing grand children. 1 lives the other side of the country so only occassionaly see her she's 18 & into boys!! The other 2 are 8 & 3 and live near so we see a lot of them. The boys a scamp and into every thing. It's I'm Sorticus at the moment - he's got all the outfit etc (had them for Christmas ) The only thing is he thinks he can climb up every where and can he do the tumbles like sporticus!! Are yours into anything like this yet?

Keep going

All the best

Margaret (now you all know moggs real name!! )  
IP IP Logged
DebbieEvo

Quote DebbieEvo Replybullet Posted: 17áMará2009 at 9:11pm

Hi Margaret,

Thanks for your reply, good to know there are other anxious people out there! I too have just started taking anti-depressants - I rattle I pop that many pills!
Kids are into everything, Mia is 5 and Jamie 3, so it's pretty essential I get my energy back and start being a "fun mum" again, I feel sorry for them as I am so lethargic and have been for quite a while (low blood count I guess).
I think I will have a proper talk to my doc next time I go and hopefully get things sorted.

Bye for now
Debbie
IP IP Logged
Ozzy

Quote Ozzy Replybullet Posted: 18áMará2009 at 1:42pm

Hi Debbie I`ve just found this website yesterday. It was interesting to read your story. I`m 37 years young  male and have always been slim and sporty. I have however suffered with indigestion since the age of 18. I was told i had Barretts 2 years ago when i went privately to have an endoscopy to check out my burning pains. The connection with the `c ` word really scared me because no consultant or doctor gave me the time to sit down and talk about it. Just told me not to worry which was easier said than done. I was told i would have a repeat endoscopy a year later which i had last year. Fortunately there was no change and i was told it would be another 3 years before the next check up which pleased me greatly.  Hope your feeling ok and able to stay possitive .

Regards
Ozzy
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 18áMará2009 at 2:02pm
Hi Debbie,

Elsewhere you may find I have written quite a bit about side effects of the PPIs. My GI nurse discussed the possibilities of osteoporosis because of calcium not being absorbed when I started "discovering" high levels of PPIs over time cause hypochlorhydria. And many of us have experienced anaemia due to the iron not being absorbed either.

I was interested to note you had a thyroid disorder as Suzy has had a similar problem - posted here: http://www.barrettsfoundation.org.uk/forum//forum_posts.asp?TID=145

Haven't worked out if there is a connection though.

Hi Ozzy,

Glad you found us and are able to stay positive.

All the best,

Chris
IP IP Logged
GreenEyedMarine

Quote GreenEyedMarine Replybullet Posted: 19áMará2009 at 2:40am
Hey Debbie and Ozzy!  I just found this site as well.  What a relief to know that we can share experiances with this problem.

I am a 40 year old female that was diagnosed with BE just 6 months ago.  I immeadiately felt alone and scared.  I went through about 4 months of denial, but am back on the path to keep me healthy. 
I also have a 10 year old son and am a single parent.  It terrifies me to think of what could happen should I not be around. 

As far as the Calcium and Iron problems,  going to start taking calcium chews/iron supplements at lunch.  It is half way between my doses of PPIs and maybe I can catch some calcium and iron while the medicine is at it's lowest.

The connection with cancer scared the daylights out of me.  No doctor has taken the time to sit and talk with me about it, so tomorrow I am headed back to the GI doc for an appointment and I will have a list in hand to get what I need.  If I leave empty handed again, it's time to change docs.

I am going to inquire about why BE isn't treated right away.  I will let you know if the GI doc comes up with a good answer or not. 

Well, that's it for me..time for bed.  Welcome aboard and hope to hear from y'all soon..

Michelle

p.s.  howdy Margret and Chris..thanks for being so open and posting on this site. I was afraid that it wasn't going to be that active, and boy, was I ever wrong.  What a wonderful tool to have in combating this problem! 
IP IP Logged
lizthebob

Quote lizthebob Replybullet Posted: 19áMará2009 at 11:23pm

Hi Debbie

Your story is very similar to mine. I was 36 when I was diagnosed and have just hit the big 40. For 6 months or so after diagnosis I thought life would never seem the same again. Now, to be honest I very rarely think of the Barretts. As my GP said when I was getting really scared about it, I'm statistically more likely to get breast cancer but I don't worry about that all the time. Sounded a bit harsh but did put things back into perspective.

I was diagnosed as extremely aneamic about 3 years ago and had loads of tests done. In the end it was put down to the PPI. I had to take high doses of iron day in and day out and it took nearly 2 years to bring my levels back up to normal although my iron stores are apparently still slightly low so I have to keep a close eye on it.

Things will get easier!
Liz
IP IP Logged
GreenEyedMarine

Quote GreenEyedMarine Replybullet Posted: 20áMará2009 at 1:11am

Liz,

I have a question about the iron levels, how high of a dose did you take?  I am already close to being anemic, and now that I'm on PPIs twice a day I am worried it will get worse. 

and..of course, do you have any other hints of how to beat that problem. 

any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Michelle
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 20áMará2009 at 7:12am
Hi Liz,

I recommend you ask you doctor for a blood test to check full blood count and iron levels. He will then be able to prescribe iron at the right dose if you need it.
The iron I was taking was higher than you would normally buy over the counter. At the same time, too much iron is poisonous to the system.

Chris
IP IP Logged
Ozzy

Quote Ozzy Replybullet Posted: 20áMará2009 at 11:04am
Hi Chris thanks for the message of support. Found the site very helpful. I was looking for info. because i`ve started to get regular heartburn despite taking ZOTON once a day. Don`t seem to work as well as they use to. Decided to really watch what i eat and cut  alcohol right down ( not that i drink much any way ). I was offered the WRAP OP (FUNDU) when small segment of Barretts was first found but i turned it down. Now qestioning if i made the correct decision.
Ozzy.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version