Support Forum
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Support Forum
Message Icon Topic: Fundoplication Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
jcombs99

Online Status: Offline
Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 05áJulá2017 at 9:11pm
Read My Post again I responded Chris not u lets see how u last in the NHS . Read the other posts Lots of Happy NHS users out there I wonder why

Edited by jcombs99 - 05áJulá2017 at 9:13pm
IP IP Logged
bobdigi

Quote bobdigi Replybullet Posted: 05áJulá2017 at 9:41pm
it's still my post lol. I assume you profit in some way from private healthcare system. Which is fine. But why are you so obsessed with insulting the NHS? If it wasn't for the NHS i wouldn't know i had Barrets in the first place!
Why spend your time insulting the NHS and discrediting it when you could spend your time promoting private healthcare in the states?
Rather than being negative about something that doesn't concern you, why not be positive about something that does!
The NHS is far from perfect, but private healthcare isn't either. So worry about fixing that rather than insulting this.
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 05áJulá2017 at 9:55pm
BOB
   Go read Chris's book then u will need to ask few questions . The NHS is trying to pass off their LOW standards to the UK which are much cheaper to do then what the US healthcare can do .I could care less if a person has private or NHS ins as long as it's good care which it isn't .When ur done with ur mess tell all about the care ur getting and I'll be happy to tell how quickly and I bet better treatment the US NHS gives .The Gov (NHS) here pays for 60% of all healthcare in the US me too after 65.
   Their pissing down your back and telling you it's raining . I get it do U ?

Always positive

Jeff
IP IP Logged
bobdigi

Quote bobdigi Replybullet Posted: 05áJulá2017 at 10:16pm
It's irrelevant to me if private healthcare in the USA is better than the UK NHS. I don't live in the USA and i can't go private. So what good does it do telling people how much better off they would be living in the states with private healthcare, when they live in the UK and use the NHS?
I don't want to ask for help and advise and get your negative useless feedback and i'm sure i'm not the only one. So i wont be replying to any more of your posts as i don't want to encourage you. And i can't stop you but i'd be glad if you didn't want to reply to my posts or leave any replies on my topics. Perhaps go on a private insurance forum and conversate how superior it is to the NHS! The NHS isn't perfect and the current government isn't helping. But i assure you, neither are you on here.Thanks, Bob.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 06áJulá2017 at 8:54am
I'm back.

Sorry was busy with Annual meeting and so tired when I gt home went straight to bed and slept.

Let's not turn this forum into an argument about health systems in UK and US. It does rather detract from this forum's purpose.

Bob. You missed a good evening but I'll post about it later. But I have a drop-in session this afternoon so some of the carry-over tasks from last night may have to yield for another 24 hours.

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what "PAT funding" is. If surgery is warranted, the normal protocol is for the consultant gastro to write to the surgeon and request he see you.
NICE recommendations usually require a pH24 hr manometry to test pressures and check on acid so as to ensure surgery is not provided inappropriately.

If you wish to be referred to Southampton, I would suggest contacting Nicholas Carter and asking him whether he can refer you there. Your referral will be to the surgical team rather than the gastroenterology team.
IP IP Logged
bobdigi

Quote bobdigi Replybullet Posted: 06áJulá2017 at 10:00pm
OK thank you. I received a letter today which was quite impressive and I have a meeting on the 18th July with someone from the surgical team. I'm actually going away for the weekend but when I get back Monday I will enquire about getting a referral to Southampton. Thanks again for you help and advise.
IP IP Logged
Merl@2018
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Merl@2018 Replybullet Posted: 21áFebá2019 at 5:41am
Hi Bob, I know it's been more than a year since your post. I just want to ask re: ur fundoplication, has it been well so far? Have u stopped using PPI's? Do you still go for follow up scopes? I am deciding re: having a fundoplication,too. Many thanks.
IP IP Logged
bobdigi

Quote bobdigi Replybullet Posted: 21áFebá2019 at 7:10am
Hi Merl. Yes I had the operation at Portsmouth QA hospital in October last year. And I'm glad to say it was a complete success. I haven't had one bout of heartburn since. I can burp properly. And I no longer take ppi's.
Apart from the fact I get no heartburn,I can't even tell I've had anything done.
My advise, if you have the opertunity, is get it done.
I haven't had a scope yet since the operation. Feel free to ask me any questions! I haven't had a scope since the op. I will chase it up if I haven't heard anything by October this year.
IP IP Logged
Merl@2018
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Merl@2018 Replybullet Posted: 22áFebá2019 at 6:56pm
Thanks Bob, Yes, my GI has mentioned fundoplication however, I am quite anxious to go through the procedure. Was ur symptoms that bad? Or do u think having fundo early would be the best option rather than on a long-term PPI? Thank u.
IP IP Logged
bobdigi

Quote bobdigi Replybullet Posted: 22áFebá2019 at 8:13pm
Well I believe ppi's to be much more harmful to one's health than we are led to believe. So yes I would definitely recommend operation over lifetime on ppi's.
But that is only my opinion. And I may be wrong. But the way I see it, we need stomach acid. It's what digests our food, and allows our body to break down vitamins and minerals so we can process them.
Without that process working properly, I don't believe optimum health is possible. After all if humans and animals didn't need the correct amount of stomach acid, then that amount wouldn't be there in the first place.
However, for people who can't or won't have the operation, ppi's are possibly the next best thing. However from the research I've done, ppi's don't offer much protection from barrett's turning cancerous anyway! They should however prevent anymore of the oesophagus cells turning to barrets in the first place.
But my advise would be have the op. My reflux was pretty bad. I had food and liquid regularly coming up to my mouth and I had to swallow it back down.
On my last scope, I told the Dr I believe I have a week valve and that my problem was mechanical. He told me I must have a hiatus hernia. And that almost everyone with barrets has a hernia. After the scope he said there was no hernia. And that he thinks I was right, it is mechanical.
Because I'm not overweight, don't smoke or drink, and have tried ppi's with no effect, that I would be suitable for an operation.
I was scared to have it done. I read all the horror stories online. But a lady on this forum was very supportive. And she gave me the courage to go for it. It was a great decision.
When you look online you will see so many people with bad experiences. And sure, surgery has always got the possibility of going wrong. Or being a dissapoitment. But for the vast majority of people, things go right. And they are happy with the outcome.
The difference is, these people are not online telling everyone how great their operation was. They aren't on forums looking for help. Only the people who it wasn't a success for are online typing their experiences.
If you are overweight, drink too much and don't try to help your heartburn with your lifestyle, then maybe don't bother.
If you try and stay fit, aren't overweight, don't drink loads and don't smoke. Then go for it.
I had a partial fundoplication. And it has worked out brilliantly. I can burp, I have no pain, no heartburn and no ppi's.
It isn't painful. Although the trapped air in my diaphragm was very uncomfortable for a couple of weeks. But it was a small price to pay.
How old are you and have you tried controlling heartburn through lifestyle changes?

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version