Support Forum
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Support Forum
Message Icon Topic: Fundoplication Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
bobdigi

Online Status: Offline
Quote bobdigi Replybullet Posted: 04áJulá2017 at 9:54pm
Well around 40 that I can feel coming right up to my throat. I have to swallow it back down. 40 is probably a conservative estimate.
IP IP Logged
bobdigi

Quote bobdigi Replybullet Posted: 04áJulá2017 at 10:24pm
I live in Gosport and attend Portsmouth QA hospital.
IP IP Logged
steveb8189

Quote steveb8189 Replybullet Posted: 05áJulá2017 at 8:31am
Sounds like you're in the right part of the country then - I think Chris will be able to add something about the Southampton area
IP IP Logged
bobdigi

Quote bobdigi Replybullet Posted: 05áJulá2017 at 9:34am
Hope so. Thank you.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 05áJulá2017 at 10:16am
Hi Bob,

Sorry for not replying sooner, I was busy getting ready for tonight's BW Annual Meeting. Will you be there?

If your scope was not part of the regular surveillance programme, they may not have felt it necessary to biospy since the concern was regarding excessive reflux rather than the state of your Barrett's.

My recommendation would be to go for the fundoplication. I was first offered it in 1997 (though it would have been by open surgery then and I was too scared). I do wish now that I had had it then. When I eventually succumbed, 11 years later, all the reflux concerns I'd had all my life (many of which I hadn't realised were reflux) went overnight.

If you do proceed to have fundoplication, although I am sure there are good surgeons at QA hospital, I believe Southampton has the best, if you are able to ask for a referral (which you have a right to under NHS) to Jamie Kelly (who invented the laparoscopic technique for oesophagectomy for those developing the cancer) or Jim Byrne (who did my Collis-Nissen revision when my original fundo came loose from 5 hours violent retching with norovirus).

Before a fundo, in the work up, you would receive a surgical scope. As far as you are aware, it's no different from a medical scope but they need to examine the junction and the fundus from inside the stomach to assess the procedure they need to adopt. They may or may not normally take biopsies during a surgical endoscopy as that's not their focus, but if you make them aware you may have a concern, they can do that at the same time.

It can take a lot of waiting to get things done on NHS as your surgery would be classed as "elective" which puts it below "essential" or "emergency". I had to nag a few times to get my case progressed. (I won't go into my anger at the decimation of what was the best health service in the world by our "so-called" government!)

Apart from an endoscopy, they'll also want to measure the pressures over your Gastro-oesophageal junction and your acid levels by 24 hour pH manometry.

In the meantime, you may read patients' experiences of fundolication (and of 24hr pH maonmetry) on the Barrett's Wessex website here.

All the best
Chris
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 05áJulá2017 at 12:12pm
Chris
    That's why u don't want the Gov running Healthcare .Obama took 1/2 Trillion Dollars away from Medicare (65+ only) and gave it to illegals to help with their care .Where do the retired get the funds to make up the difference ??
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 05áJulá2017 at 12:23pm
Sorry Jeff.
Completely disagree. Our NHS was born 69 years ago today when the UK was in real austerity post war. It has saved countless millions of lives.
The UK spends about 1/3rd per capita on health care than the US yet it was listed best in the world a few years back when US was in 10th place.
I am constantly corresponding with dozens in US on Facebook whose insurance won't cover their medication etc and who cannot afford what they have been told they need.
Unfortunately our present government is intent on destroying the health service.
But don't knock our NHS. It's like walking into a mosque and decrying Allah or telling a devout Catholic that God is a myth.
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 05áJulá2017 at 12:37pm
CHRIS

Those people didn't plan ahead like I did just 42 years ago . The Biggest pro Obamacare was Obama and he turned on the middle class when they couldn't pay HIS price but gave to the poor for free .I like ur system over there not over it . Ur wait times are insane ur doctors come here for better pay and less taxes. U do what we did VOTE then out of office .
    The US never travels to the NHS to get healthcare but u travel here why is that ?? Because they want to spend more money !

Fire Anyone or Better Healthcare for everyone !!

CHEERs [IMG]smileys/smiley32.gif" align="middle" /> [IMG]smileys/smiley32.gif" align="middle" /> [IMG]smileys/smiley32.gif" align="middle" />

Edited by jcombs99 - 05áJulá2017 at 9:09pm
IP IP Logged
bobdigi

Quote bobdigi Replybullet Posted: 05áJulá2017 at 8:22pm
Hi Chris no i wont be there. I would like to attend a meeting soon though. I'm not fully aware what it entails but i'm interested in coming along.
The GI doctor said initially he was going to do a test which measures my ph levels, but after the scope he said it probably wasn't worth it and he would request funding for the Nissen.
In fact i have the report here and it reads...

"Plan- He would be an excellent candidate for surgery and i will apply for PAT tool funding and bring to clinic to discuss further. Reflux surgery explained and leaflet given. I don't think needs barium or PH as everything is in alignment."

Its written by Nicholas Carter, endoscopist. I think i will take your advise and request a referral to Southampton.
Do you think it will lesson my chances of Fundo if i change to another Gi Doctor? as i'm quite keen to get it done and i don't want to scupper my chances!!!!!

He implied the surgery was for certain, but after reading the report, the PAT funding request makes me a little concerned. Or do you think he knows it will be granted.

Sorry for so many questions. I know you are busy. And probably not psychic!
                           Thanks, Bob.
IP IP Logged
bobdigi

Quote bobdigi Replybullet Posted: 05áJulá2017 at 8:24pm
I didn't think your were going to reply to my posts Jeff! You never lasted the a day!
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version