Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: 24hr pH monitoring results Post Reply Post New Topic
steveb8189

Online Status: Offline
Quote steveb8189 Replybullet Topic: 24hr pH monitoring results
    Posted: 08áJuná2017 at 7:01pm
Hi all

So, after waiting for 4 months I've finally got the results of my 24hr pH tests and high res manometry and they've left me a little confused so hoping for some answers from you guys (and girls)!.

1. During my last two endoscopies I've been told I have a 2cm hiatal hernia but the manometry says I have no HH. Which is more likely to be correct?

2. What is "LES Length" - mine is 2.9cm by the way

3. My LES mean pressure is 4.4 with a normal of 4.8-32.0 I presume this is the cause of my reflux but didn't realise you could have low pressure without a HH. What else can cause that? Could it be something I could change in my diet which could increase the pressure if there is not a mechanical HH causing the issue?

The details of the pH testing are as follows

Proximal Oesophagus: Total 8 episodes
Distal Oesophagus: total 5.5%, normal <4.2%; upright 3.3%, normal <6.3%; supine 8.6%, normal <1.2%. Demester score 22.8, normal <14,72, number of reflux events (impedance) total 46, normal <72.

ok... so questions on that one

1. What is proximal oesophagus?

2. I reflux more when lying down, which I expected as I have only ever got heart burn at night time but.. why is the normal % far lower for supine than upright? Is it not expected that people reflux more lying down?

3. I only had 46 reflux episodes? Does that mean that some of them must have lasted quite a long time to average out at 5.5% of the time?

I haven't been to see the consultant yet - need to plead with the health insurance provider first. Is there anything anyone can think I should specifically ask him in addition to my questions above? I guess the key one is "would you recommend treatment and if so, which type".

Thanks for reading (if you got this far!)

Steve
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 08áJuná2017 at 7:24pm
1) If ur EGD says u have a 2cm HH that's what u have Maybe 1.5 cm to 2.5 cm THEIR looking not with a measuring tape FORGET the other Rubbish GI's know !!!!!!!!!
2) I bet your Barretts length is 2.9cm mine was 8cmm.

CHEERs with the Rest ..
IP IP Logged
steveb8189

Quote steveb8189 Replybullet Posted: 08áJuná2017 at 7:54pm
Not entirely sure what length I have. It's at 42cm to 40cm so could be 1.5 - 3.5cm. No report has ever specified the actual length
IP IP Logged
Bobib

Quote Bobib Replybullet Posted: 16áJuná2017 at 3:19pm
1- The endoscopy is. Manometry reading of HH has low sensitivity.

2- This is the length of area where the manometry detected higher pressure, and pressure changes, that represent the location of your lower sphincter. I think 2.9 is normal.

3- Neuro-muscular issues. Either unknown cause, or causes like autoimmune disease leading to connective tissues disorders. But with these you should be having other more serious GI issues, e.g. lack of motility in your esophagus.

3.1 - It means the upper end of your oesophagus.

3.2 - It has to do with the physiology of the sphincter, including how often it relaxes, and the pressure in your stomach. My understanding is that the relaxation tends to happen less frequently at night.

3.3 - Probably, but your report should tell you all of this: average length of time, maximum length of time. There should also be a graph which shows the PH changing over time.

Edited by Bobib - 16áJuná2017 at 3:19pm
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version