Message Icon Topic: waist size? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 18áMará2009 at 8:02am
Hi Michelle,

Two of the biggest aggrevators of reflux appear to be weight and stress so I'm glad you're attempting to reduce both of those.

I have tried various PPIs. They have different names in UK than US but have been on Lansoprazole, Pantoprazole but mainly Omeprazole. They all seemed the same to me.

I was worried about side effects. There are some shown on the box inserts with the tablets but there are others which aren't. I researched a list form the net which I posted here: http://www.barrettsfoundation.org.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=138 but further to that am now convinced, the worst side effect is the hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid) which means the essential minerals are not being absorbed into the body - particularly calcium (beware osteoporosis), iron (beware anaemia) and selenium (beware depression).

I am lucky (I hope) that I have just had the fundoplication operation (Monday) and so far haven't had any indication I shall need to take any more PPIs. But, of course, it's early days yet and I'll see what the coming weeks bring as I go through the recovery process. So far, touch wood, it seems to be going OK.

All the best

Chris

Edited by chrisrob - 18áMará2009 at 8:03am
IP IP Logged
Moggs

Quote Moggs Replybullet Posted: 18áMará2009 at 6:01pm
Hi Again RonMac

You can get gaviscon in tablet form which you suck. I find the lemon ones are best for me and work better & quiocker than the liquid form. Perhaps it's because with sucking them the gaviscon goes much slower down yr gullet so sooths it more oon the way down. Also it's easy to just break off afew tablets & slip them in yr bag or (for men) wallet, so you've always got them with you.

Moggs 
IP IP Logged
RonMac
Groupie
Groupie

Quote RonMac Replybullet Posted: 18áMará2009 at 6:04pm
Moggs,

Many thanks.  I have seen them at supermarket check outs, so must investiagte!

RonMac
IP IP Logged
GreenEyedMarine

Quote GreenEyedMarine Replybullet Posted: 19áMará2009 at 2:23am

Ron,

Thanks for the education on the terms.  I had a Marine that was from the UK when I was teaching..we had alot of fun with the different terms.  He kept insisting that the British gave us a perfectly good language and the Americans have wasted no time in "f-ing" it up. 

The Prilosec (omeperezole) wasn't working, so the doc has started me on (eomeperezole) Nexium.  I hope that there is more difference in the medicine than the one letter in the name. 

I have never heard of Rennies Delfatine, however will check out how/where it is sold out here.

I am, however a little concerned about something.  One thing I have been taught over and over again (in fact, just last week by my doctor and gym staff) is that your max heart rate should be 220 minus your age.  So unless your 20, you shouldn't be reaching 200 bpm. Confused Please, PRETTY please, check with your heart doc before pushing that hard again.  Could be why your gym is seeing more MIs?

Chris,

Congrats!!!  You are so lucky to have had the op.  If the hearburn isn't under control by next year (as long as I am keeping up my end of the deal, that is) I am going to start begging.  Let me know how it progresses..k? 

I have found another form of stress relief/exercise: gardening.  Wow, had I known that gardening took up so much energy and killing weeds is so theraputic I would have done this years ago!

Thank you.  I love this site!  I have felt so alone for the past 6 months it was driving me nuts! 
IP IP Logged
RonMac
Groupie
Groupie

Quote RonMac Replybullet Posted: 19áMará2009 at 5:55am
Michelle,

Thank you for your pulse concern.

II only reach that under Cardiologist supervision, while on the treadmill test.  Under Gym conditions, allowing for Beta Blocker effects, I reach 130-140,  hold for a minute, then drop back to 80-90, only to do it all again 5/6 times a treadmill session.

I did ask Cardiologist why the seemed intent in killing me, but he assured me that as he was watching multiple lines on the screen, he would see my impending end before i did, and more than likely slow me down!(g)

He went on to explain that he was interested in my recovery rate, and as long as that was 'normal'  I was OK.   So, they 'kill' you to see that you are OK.  Makes sense?

Of course fact is , my recovery rate is much better post heart attack, than it would have been pre heart attack.

I now have a wee metal stent where the narrowing was in the artery.

I agree, its great to have a forum where we can chat ad naseum about our Barretts, and other ailments.

Thanks for caring.

RonMac
Scotland

To do is to be--Neitzche
To be is to do--Descartes
Do be Do be Do--Sinatra
To Be is to Burp........Reflux
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version