Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: 22 years old with baretts. Post Reply Post New Topic
Defaced
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Defaced Replybullet Topic: 22 years old with baretts.
    Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 7:53pm
Hello everyone, i would like to introduce myself first,Iam 22 years old i come from Czech republic and i was diagnosed with baretts right after new yaer yeye, iam also competive heavyweight bodybuilder, i follow healthylifestyle in terms of food and diet, cant say about rest of things i have to do to stay competive. Now my question is what are my options because i find very rare to have baretts at this age and every treatment is mainly focused on higher age people 50+. I had manometry and PH testing done, i have no hiatal hernia, manometry was without any issue, barrium test again without pathology and ph test i had only nocturnal acid reflux but i had around 15 refluxes per day so it wasnt huge too. Thats why my dcotor was very curious why i got such a condition. At the moment i take daily aspirin, drink Hyaluronic acid, use metformin and also epithalon (which is not approved yet for human use) pretty much every kind of anti cancer protection not sure if it helps but time will tell, also on Omeprazole 60mg daily and itopred twice a day, and finally after ph test i started to use H2 blockers only at night to see if reflux gets better (not much sucess on 2 tablets rantidine)

So my plan is 1) i have next scope in 2 months, iam going to wait for this one and after consultation with doctor i will pay private RFA (which is in CZECH republic only for HGD) iam not going to wait for HGD i rather spent my money which i had on car for this treatment.

2) I can pay private scopes every half year or 4 months, not sure with this option because as i said iam 22 years old, thats 3 scopes every year which is little bit stressful.

My doctor told me that i have very little chance to get cancer because iam very young and it takes years to progress, but ive read like every single forum and study about baretts and i dont think so that age is any factor at progression at all, also i dont see reason for scopes every 3 years etc, if you can get cancer in less then half year why go for scopes every 3 years ? Would love to hear your opinion or give me better ones. Atm i really think about RFA is only option for me at this age.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 11:36pm
Hi D,

Welcome to the forum.
Although Barrett's is most commonly found in men aged 50+, it is more frequently being found now in younger people and of both sexes.
It forms as a result of persistent reflux of aoid and bile as described, simply, here.
The medicines you are taking may not be helping and actually may be making it worse. Aspirin will cause excess stomach acid for instance which you are trying to reduce.

The only medications that will help are acid suppressants. PPIs (eg omeprazole) have been shown to probably reduce the risk of progression to cancer by 71%. (Acid-suppressive medications and risk of oesophageal adenocarcinoma in patients with Barrett’s oesophagus: a systematic review and meta-analysis)

The risks of progression to cancer are extremely small. (I know I've had mine at least 23 years and probably much longer.) It formed to protect your body from digesting itself and also reduce the pain of oesophagitis.
Forget about RFA for now. It really isn't worth it for non-dysplastic Barrett's. It will remove your Barrett's but the fact you developed it once makes you a likely candidate to develop it again so you'd still need regular surveillance every few years and medication anyway.

Surveillance scoping every few years is usually all that's required. IF it is going to progress, it's usually a slow process initially and any changes (dysplasia) can then be acted on (RFA). 99% of scopes are just a waste of time and money as nothing new is usually never seen.

Relax. Think of Barrett's as a friend and treat him with care - don't go throwing acid over him all the time. And work on reducing your reflux.

Read this free book / website to learn more: Down With Acid.
IP IP Logged
steelee
Groupie
Groupie

Quote steelee Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 7:13pm
Hi,

I agree with Chris that you do need to stop taking Aspirin and the other 'things' you are taking as they won't be helping, you sound very much like me at your age (although I didn't know about my Barrett's back then. Keep taking the PPI's as you need to control the acid, as for regular surveillance, that's a difficult question as mine progressed very quickly, as you are non-dysplastic I would think every 12 months would suffice and forget about RFA at the moment but that's just my opinion.
Ed
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 2:49pm
Yup Scopes are a waste of Good Tax Payer Funds which can be better spent on pay raises and holidays .But then so is medical care as a whole. [

Edited by jcombs99 - 07 Apr 2017 at 2:50pm
IP IP Logged
Defaced
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Defaced Replybullet Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 11:17pm
Thanks alot for advice :-) my problem is that since diagnose i cant really focus on anything else but only when next scope is, if its still without dysplasia etc and it really ruins my whole life.
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 11:26pm
Don't worry about it knowledge is power read Chris's book and learn u b fine . Meanwhile it's 82F @ 1825 hours here and the View is great on Miami Beach now where is the Butler they do like hide u know I wonder if the Royals have this trouble ?

CHEERs

Edited by jcombs99 - 09 Apr 2017 at 11:28pm
IP IP Logged
nanafran
Groupie
Groupie

Quote nanafran Replybullet Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 7:09am
defaced I understand where yr coming for. i was diagnoised in January and barretts seems to be on my mind most of the time. but im sure as months go on and the support we have in this group. We will overcome the anxiety of this Barrets.I personally feel thats the major problem for me at the moment. but I also am now getting ti the stage where im coping a lot better than when first diagnoised. yes we have Barretts but its something we can deal with. its overcoming the anxiety . We will and be better people for it
IP IP Logged
Bobib

Quote Bobib Replybullet Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 3:06pm
The anxiety will diminish. Trust me on that.

As for frequency of scans. Every three months seems way too frequent to me. There becomes a point where the diminishing returns and the risks involved means you should be focusing your money and time elsewhere.

As for RFA. No one seems to agree. What is the length of your Barrett's btw? And have you got IM?
IP IP Logged
Defaced
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Defaced Replybullet Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 4:03pm
Its 2x3cm IM without dysplasia, is it short or long one?
IP IP Logged
steveb8189

Quote steveb8189 Replybullet Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 7:31pm
2x3 isn't that clear. It probably means 2cm circumferential with a 3cm maximum length "tongue". Anything 3cm or less is generally classified as short segment with <1cm sometimes called super short.

There is growing evidence that the risk increases with the length so consider yourself (like me) lucky to be of the shorter variety.

I am (only) 34 so have some idea of what it feel like to get this diagnosis a little earlier in life than some. I actually didn't care for the first year (maybe denial) but then became obsessed in year two - made worse by getting married and having a baby. I admit it did take me 12 months of that before getting back to near normal. In my darkest times o sspent literally every waking hour thinking about Barrett's nearly unable to do any work. It's a dark spiral you need to snap out of. I wrote some notes which helped me - I'll share when I'm at work tomorrow as they sit in my desk drawer for when I start dwelling on things too much
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version