Message Icon Topic: 1st surveillance Post Reply Post New Topic
Judgy01
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Judgy01 Replybullet Topic: 1st surveillance
    Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 1:04pm
Hi,

I was diagnosed with barretts 3 yrs ago and have just been for my 1st surveillance appointment (after spending a week reading the topics on here to help put my mind at rest)
They said there were no visable changes to my cells, that's got to be a good sign right? But I still have to wait for the biopsy results. If there were no visable signs then am i right not to worry myself too much about waiting for the biopsy results?
I didn't have the sedation for the procedure (never again!) So was aware of everything during it.
I suppose I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance from those who have been through similar as they don't give you a lot of information at the hospital I attend.
Thanks
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 1:41pm
Over the 23 years I know I've had my Barrett's, I've had numerous scopes. I'm glad to say my 3cm non-dysplastic Barrett's has remained unchanged all that time.
Sedation has no effect on me so I no long try it. It's not a pleasant experience but is over very quickly. (My next is due in August and I'm not looking forward to it.)

The hospital won't really be able to give you any much information. Your endoscopist may be able to say what he has seen but is not really able to spend time discussing it. Depending upon your hospital, you will probably be given a clinic appointment in a few weeks once the biopsy results come through - though some hospitals just send those to your GP to discuss with you.
At my hospital in Southampton, we have "virtual clinics" whereby patients receive a copy of their endoscopy report and are able to email or phone in for more information. They also provide details of our charity support group so they can drop in to one of our sessions.

It's most likely your endoscoppy report will show no change but the biopsies will confirm this. It can take a few weeks for those results to come through, though.
IP IP Logged
Judgy01
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Judgy01 Replybullet Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 4:39pm
Thank you for your reply. I'm going to try and 'forget' about my biopsy results for a couple of weeks. The lack of information given by both the doctors and hospital I attend is shocking. I was literally given a Web page address on a piece of paper 3 years ago and told to look it up

Thanks again
IP IP Logged
Warwick
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Warwick Replybullet Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by Judgy01

Thank you for your reply. I'm going to try and 'forget' about my biopsy results for a couple of weeks. The lack of information given by both the doctors and hospital I attend is shocking. I was literally given a Web page address on a piece of paper 3 years ago and told to look it up

Thanks again

Yes, pretty much my experience too. It's nowhere near good enough, frankly!

Try not to think about the biopsy results (nothing you can do about them by worrying about them). The resuslts will come when they will, and the odds are that all will be well.
IP IP Logged
Judgy01
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Judgy01 Replybullet Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 8:49pm
No its not good enough but thankfully there are sites like this one 😀
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version