Message Icon Topic: Melatonin Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
irishmale46
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote irishmale46 Replybullet Topic: Melatonin
    Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 4:32pm
I have read numerous reports and studies that Melatonin is very therapeutic in treatment of GERD symptons and wondered if anyone has tried it?

I asked my pharmacist about it and he said that he could understand why it would help treat GERD symptons but that sadly it wasn't available in the UK, only in the US.

http://bmcgastroenterol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-230X-10-7

IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 4:51pm
Buy it online U can be the TEST case .
IP IP Logged
irishmale46
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote irishmale46 Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 5:15pm
A study published in 2010 provides some pretty convincing evidence for the effectiveness of melatonin for GERD.[2] Researchers compared the effects of 3 mg of melatonin per day to drug treatment with omeprazole (a PPI) for eight weeks. They found symptoms of GERD, like heartburn and pain, to be decreased after four weeks and completely resolved after eight weeks in both groups.

http://universityhealthnews.com/daily/nutrition/melatonin-for-gerd-how-to-help-acid-reflux-with-this-natural-supplement/
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 5:23pm
I hadn't noticed anything about melatonin & reflux previously - though I do have the 2010 article you linked in my archive.

Don't know how well it works. The study reported was very small scale but did conclude: "Melatonin has a role in the improvement of Gastro-esophageal reflux disease when used alone or in combination with omeprazole. Meanwhile, omeprazole alone is better used in the treatment of GERD than melatonin alone." (I haven't checked who sponsored the study.)

A quick Google search shows it is available in UK. This link takes you to one supplier.

Let us know, if you try it, how effective you find it.

IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 5:33pm
Mate
    I don't mean to give U a hard time but U find these studies all over in small groups BECAUSE some one is PAYING them to do it ..I like the studies in like 10,000 over 10 years THEN I ask my Doc .
Try it, it's CHEAP but KEEP looking we need new blood here .

CHEERs Mate
IP IP Logged
irishmale46
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote irishmale46 Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 7:00pm
I have to go on a different PPI for the next 8 weeks to hopefully help heal my esophagus inflammation. Going onto Lansoprazole as the Nexium didn't agree with me.

I hope to be able to come off PPI after that and will try the Melatonin as a replacement and let you all know how it goes.

Melatonin may also strengthen the LES valve as the current research trial below suggests:

Melatonin has also been studied in alleviating GERD. In a head-to-head comparison, the researchers gave 175 patients standard treatment with the prescription drug omeprazole, while 176 received a supplement containing melatonin, its precursor L-tryptophan, and B vitamins, over a 40-day treatment period. All patients in the supplement group reported complete regression of symptoms by the end of the study, compared with only 66% in the drug-treated group. Again, no significant side effects were reported in the supplemented patients.[26]

Although many studies were carried out to evaluate the role of melatonin in GERD based on its effect in alleviation of GERD symptoms only, the review of literature showed that no previous studies were based on endoscopic findings besides the clinical improvement.

In the present study, also signs were improved including lower esophageal sphincter (LES) pressure (from 10 ± 1.58 and, 10.3 ± 1.68 mmHg in the pretreated patients to 16.5 ± 0.6, and 14.1 ± 0.5 mmHg in patients treated with melatonin for 8 weeks and patients treated with melatonin and omeprazole for 4 weeks respectively). In addition, residual pressure (from 0.012 ± 0.52, and, 0.012 ± 0.44 in the pretreated patients to 0.32 ± 0.013, and, 0.21 ± 0.016 mmHg patients treated with melatonin for 8 weeks and patients treated with melatonin and omeprazole for 4 weeks respectively). Besides, relaxation duration (from 6.8 ± 0.12, and 6.8 ± 0.16 seconds in the pretreated patients to 5.3 ± 0.12, and 5.8 ± 0.13 seconds in patients treated with melatonin for 8 weeks and patients treated with melatonin and omeprazole for 4 weeks respectively), relaxation % (from 86 ± 0.87, and 85 ± 1.58% in pretreated patients to 95 ± 0.9 and 90 ± 1.23% in patients treated with melatonin for 8 weeks and patients treated with melatonin and omeprazole for 4 weeks respectively). However, the pH, 5 cm above the level of LES, was elevated from 2.3 ± 0.36, 2.1 ± 0.38 and 1.98 ± 0.37 in pretreated patients to 5.9 ± 0.65, 5.9 ± 0.48 and 6.1 ± 0.55 in patients treated with melatonin for 8 weeks, patients treated with omeprazole for 4 weeks and patients treated with melatonin and omeprazole for 4 weeks respectively).
IP IP Logged
irishmale46
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote irishmale46 Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 7:02pm
Here is the link to the research:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/717460_5
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 10:24pm
Thanks for the Medsacape link

I prefer the original BioMed link which has diagrams as well.

Methods: 36 persons were divided into 4 groups (control subjects, patients with reflux disease treated with melatonin alone, omeprazole alone and a combination of melatonin and omeprazole for 4 and 8 weeks) Each group consisted of 9 persons. Persons were subjected to thorough history taking, clinical examination, and investigations including laboratory, endoscopic, record of esophageal motility, pH-metry, basal acid output and serum gastrin.

Results: Melatonin has a role in the improvement of Gastro-esophageal reflux disease when used alone or in combination with omeprazole. Meanwhile, omeprazole alone is better used in the treatment of GERD than melatonin alone.
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 11:16am
Always talk it over with ur doc before doing anything like I do .I would take both and one of his patients didn't take her PPI's he doesn't know why she just didn't HGD !!! I guess she knew better then him .

CHEERs
IP IP Logged
Bobib

Quote Bobib Replybullet Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 5:41pm
I wonder whether this may also interact with how deep sleep can reduce night time reflux (malatonin aids sleep).

Anyway, I am going for gloomy England, to sunny Australia for a month, and shall be spending a lot of time on the beach. I shall report back on any positive effect that the increased melatonin on my reflux symptoms.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version