Message Icon Topic: Soft foods Post Reply Post New Topic
mommyto2
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote mommyto2 Replybullet Topic: Soft foods
    Posted: 14 May 2016 at 12:17pm
Hi

I couple of quick questions, that I have been wondering about. Firstly i have had two endoscopes previously which both showed esophragitus and the second one showed barretts of a gastric nature. I am due another in the next month or so. But what I was wondering was that if esophragitus is on ongoing problem for me, should I be having more of a soft food diet generally. I'm hoping the esophragitus has cleared up as I have made all the normal lifestyle changes, but I don't really know. I eat a really healthy diet and am stick thin, but now I'm thinking perhaps I should be avoiding nuts, seeded bread hard vegetables and other non soft foods.

The second thing is that I take 20mg Omeps in the morning and ranitidine at bedtime, both with a glass of water, but I'm reading through some notes that the hospital gave me and it mentions about not drinking 2 hours before bed. (Obviously I already refrain from eating) but I am drinking a glass of water with the ranitidine.

Just wondered what people's thoughts were on the above issues, many thanks
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 14 May 2016 at 4:03pm
Hi

Oesophagitis is usually due to acid. It is rarely due to hard-edged foods. The lining of th eoesophagus prodused mucous as a lubricant that normally enables dry, "scratchy", foods to pass without problem.

Drinks reflux easier than solid foods. I would find ordinary tap water refluxed almost as soon as I'd sipped it. It can be a problem taking tablets at night but a few sips of water is usually sufficient to enable swallowing.

Against what some others may advise, I actually found sparkling water was easier to deal with. The gas makes you burp and release the pressure that may otherwise have assisted in reflux.
IP IP Logged
mommyto2
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mommyto2 Replybullet Posted: 15 May 2016 at 12:06pm
Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply. That is good to know. I will be a lot more careful with my water drinking now. I think I've been drinking too much of it in the past.

IP IP Logged
Pyrrhonist

Quote Pyrrhonist Replybullet Posted: 15 May 2016 at 12:43pm
Drinking water will rinse out the oesophagus and will dilute the stomach fluids. So it's hard to see how you can drink too much. Though too much in one session could be uncomfortable.

If water does cause a bit of reflux, the refluxed fluid will be dilute.

It should take some time after the drink for stomach fluid to return to normal (whatever is normal for you).
Richard Torrens. - See my www site for my own experiences with Barrett's and reflux etc.
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 15 May 2016 at 12:50pm
M
   If that doesn't work ask the doc to up Ur dose of Omps to 20+20 or try another drug @ nite . I was on Ran @ nite for three days woke up @ 3am took my other ppi's .I never get heartburn @ nite I think Ran was upsetting my stomach .Lots of different drugs and doses U can try I may up my dose have to ask doc it's hard to think when U have sedition in Ur system while talking to him and it can kill u too..
cheers
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 15 May 2016 at 1:01pm
I totally relate to M's plight as it was the same with me.
It's not the acid that's causing her the problems but the reflux - even something as benign as water may reflux and cause many problems - with me it was the cough as the aspirated droplets entered the lungs.
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 15 May 2016 at 1:11pm
Everyone is different water doesn't effect me but it may M or U. I had reflux cough 24/7 for three weeks by fasting . I guess high doses of PPI's and nutthing to work on in the stomach causes reflux too.
IP IP Logged
mommyto2
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mommyto2 Replybullet Posted: 15 May 2016 at 6:18pm
To be honest I'm not sure what effects me and what doesn't because it's silent reflux that I've got, and I've pretty much got no symptoms what so ever! But thanks all for your comments, it's interesting stuff
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 15 May 2016 at 6:50pm
M
I got the same thing SO it takes longer BUT still doable .
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version